Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #1

Share |

Preparing old concrete for paint

Hi all
We've just moved into a new house and I desperately need to do something to the kitchen, starting with the flooring. It has two layers of linoleum tiled on top of each other, with what we think is concrete underneath. We would like to remove the linoleum and then paint the concrete floor.

I realise we'll need to remove the glue from the tiles off of the concrete - but from there what will we need to do? How would I prepare the concrete for floor paint? Do I need to sand? Treat?

Please help with this query, so when the time comes in a week, we are prepared with the right tools/processes to get the job done!

Thanks
Danielle
Sibsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #2

Depending on vintage either the tiles or the adhesive or both may contain asbestos. You must take care not to get those fibers airborne.
As far as prepping for paint, a lot will depend on what shape the slab is in. If the adhesive tests negative for asbestos, and the slab is not cracked to kingdom come, you can rent a machine to grind it smooth.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #3

If the concrete cleans up quite well you're probably better off staining it instead of painting it. The stain will soak in and not chip off like paint will. After the stain has completely dried you can then wax the floor to provide it easy to clean surface.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #4

Thank you very much for your responses. I think I was misleading when I said new house. New for us, but old house! So thanks Evstarr for that warning on asbestos. Not sure how we would test for that - but I'll ask around at our hardware stores. I find as a new/non DIYer that the hardware stores in South Africa (well, the ones I frequent) arent really that helpful around expertise on how to do things.

Msradell, how long does the staining process normally take?

Tks
Sibsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibsmi View Post
Msradell, how long does the staining process normally take?
It goes pretty quickly, probably faster than painting in most cases. Then it will need to dry for a week or so before you wax it. You can walk on it during that time, you just need to clean it (dry mop) before waxing.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
Sibsmi (11-29-2011)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

I'm wanting to do something with my concrete basement floor and was deciding between paint or stain. For staining do you get the acid type? Seems that kind needs to be washed with a neutralizer not sure how messy that would get indoors or is there something else you just apply, topcoat then you're done?
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Tileguy

Painting a floor is never a good idea, in my opinion. Even if you'll never want to bond anything to it, it'll wear or peel. If you or someone else ever decides to install flooring, it'll have to be removed. Lots of work.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

And trying to stain any concrete floor needs complety clean and I mean completly clean as in no glue resadue, no chemicals used to remove the glue clean. It's almost never done on anything but bare concrete.
It will also have to be acid etched, if there's any cracks there no way to just fill them and not have them show.
Do a search on the net on concrete staining.
BY staining or painting you will be turning that floor with that high a traffic flow into a high maintaince item.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote