Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #1

Share |

prep existing concrete floor for acid stain

I am in the process of acid staining my interior floors and am down to scraping up the paint splatter from when the house was originally built (about 3 years ago). i have tried a floor sander, scraping it with a razor, and muratic acid. so far nothing is working. does anyone have a solution?

sethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

I used a mastic type of liquid that they have after a weekend of doing the same thing. After busting my cops all weekend and seeing no results I decided to call the company rep. and was told there wasn't any need to remove paint droppings, are staining other than oils and dirt, and that this product is applied with a quality squeegee and covers imperfections, paints and adds depth to the stain patterns. I tried it and it worked wonders. If someone was to pay attention as the are applying it they could make some interesting patterns like cracks, fishers and imperfections. It was a easy process.

jburd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #3

Which stain product did you use? I was looking at doing this myself and as for whats available at places like Lowes they only carry Quikrete Brand. Not that this is bad. I couldn't say one way or the other. Nobody at these stores can really speak with experience of this product.

There are two types. The Etching Stain and the Semi-Transparent Concrete Stain. I was told that the Semi-Transparent type is the one that will cover everything and you can control the color as opposed to the etching where you have no control. Sounds like if you covered paint droppings you must have used the semi-transparent.
Two70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #4

This is the product that I used it's a simple process. I can't believe they charge the kind of money they do to have a pro do it. But like they say there's a fool born every minute. http://www.artcrete.com/products/resurface/acid_stain/I also so used the Faux finish and it's really the part that covered the paint stains. The color is subjective to many factors. My best advise on the color would be to pick two colors that you like and apply the primary first then your other over it to add contrast. I've got pictures of to separate jobs one with the two tone application and one being my new house with a one stain, I like the 2 coat a lot better it has more character. Will attach pictures. If pic's did work let me know.
jburd964 is offline   Reply With Quote