Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Pre-Mixed grout help

I re-grouted a friend's bathroom floor and I used a pre-mixed grout. I followed the directions and spread the grout on the tiles, used the float and took off the excess. Once I was done with the floor, I noticed that there was a lot of residue left on the tiles that wouldn't come off with a sponge. I let it dry for a few days and used a razor to scrape off the excess, but there is still some left. Is there some solution that I can get to remove it, the tiles are just regular ceramic tiles with a semi-gloss finish. Thanks

joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Pre-Mixed grout help

sulfamic acid crystals. look in HD in the tile section.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #3

Pre-Mixed grout help

The only problem with the sulfamic acid is it will create grooves in your tile, those cannot be repaired. The concept would be ok, but I deter customers from buying it. As for the grout haze, you have to be thorough wiping off any grout. Grout haze can't be removed without damaging the tile. Maybe someone here that has another idea to help you?
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
NACE Coating Inspector

Pre-Mixed grout help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr13r View Post
The only problem with the sulfamic acid is it will create grooves in your tile, those cannot be repaired. The concept would be ok, but I deter customers from buying it. As for the grout haze, you have to be thorough wiping off any grout. Grout haze can't be removed without damaging the tile. Maybe someone here that has another idea to help you?
sulfamic acid cystals. look in the tile section in lowes. any acidic solution from citric acid to sulfamic acid will micro-etch your tiles if left on for longer periods of time the intended. what are your options that wont scratch or damage your tile at this point
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Craftster

Pre-Mixed grout help

The only way I've ever removed it from mosaic tiles was warm soapy water and lots and lots of elbow grease. It will (eventually) come off, but it's work.
ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Tileguy

Pre-Mixed grout help

Joe,

Premixed grouts are terrible products manufactured to dupe unsuspecting DIY's because of their one-size-fits-all easy-to-install claims. They are chemical grouts.

Call the maker of the grout and ask them what to use to clean their haze.

Sulfamic acid will not work on chemical grouts. It will work only with Portland cement products

Sulfamic acid will not hurt glazed or porcelain ceramic tile if used sparingly but in this case it won't work at all.

You cannot allow ANY grout haze to remain for days and then expect it to be easy to remove, it just doesn't work that way.

Call the manufacturer!

ttr13r (07-29-2011)