Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Praying to the Cement Gods...

Please let my mixture cure to a beautiful, hard, water resistant thing of beauty.

After reading all sorts of possible mixtures and additives and this, and that, and being generally overwhelmed.

Here is what I went with.

5 parts sand
1.5 parts portland cement
Dry mixed together.

Then added sparingly...

A latex bonding additive (mixed with 1/2 water).

Worked it until it was saturated but clumpled in my hand and my hand pulled away clean.

I used this in a test area outdoors to fill some cracks and level out some uneven areas.

If it cures nice (fingers crossed) then I will attempt to use this mixture on the inside slab and as a form for a threshold.

Sound good?

drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,426

Have no idea what your goal is but that mixture isn't likely to last if thin (for a threshold) and being walked on.

What are you trying to do exactly?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Have no idea what your goal is but that mixture isn't likely to last if thin (for a threshold) and being walked on.

What are you trying to do exactly?

Why does this have to be so complicated?

You are probably right. I just did some test areas outside. Some cracks and spots here and there to see how it would cure.

I agree that it looks a little sandy and like it could wash/erode away.

I also just mixed some pure portland cement with water and put that in some places. That comes out more creamy. I'm not sure how it will cure though.

What I want to do:

I have some gaps where the slab meets a concrete retaining wall that I would like to fill. They are not big gaps.

There is an odd brick column corner that I would like to smooth and shape the base of.

Then there is the threshold (s) issue.

I have no idea about the one that rests on a 2x8. I can't figure it out. No standard threshold fits the depth of the sill board and apparently the 3/4" depth is not enough to accomadate tile, barriers, 2 mortar beds and whatever else goes into tiling.

There is another door that opens over the slab. I thought a threshold could be formed out of cement and tiled over in that area.

Yet, that won't work if my mixture is too weak.

Thanks for your response. Perhaps I should give up. I even called a pro, but the job is too small and he didn't want to do it.

It is very frustrating.
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote