Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #1

Share |

power stretcher short

I am attempting to restretch the carpet in a grand living space. I rented a power stretcher...but it wont reach from wall to the other wall (good 20 feet short is some places)

Is there a technique for stretching rooms where the power stretcher wont reach across the room?

Thanks
J

Jneel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #2

power stretcher short

OK, you should be able to extend the power stretcher to about 20 feet in length by just telescoping the tubing as far as possible. You're saying that even doing that you're STILL 20 feet short? That means you're stetching carpet in a 40 foot room, correct?

I'd consider just getting a pair of 10 foot long 2X12's from your local lumber yard, setting them end-to-end against the far wall, and putting the shoe of the power stretcher on the end of the second 2X12 to stretch the entire 40 feet.

Maybe find some way of fastening the ends of the 2X12's together without damaging them to keep them from slipping off one another.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Tileguy

power stretcher short

Quote:
Is there a technique for stretching rooms where the power stretcher wont reach across the room?
Install more "extension tubes".
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Get out of the box!

power stretcher short

Nestor has the right idea. it is not always easy to just run a out and get some extra tubes.

I have even done it with a 2 x 4 just have your buddy stand on the end were the foot of the strecher meets the board.
Put a piece of carpet or somethng behind the board on the wall so it not dent the base.
I have two power stretchers currently and have owned many in years and they do not mix tubes well together. The aluminums will not mix with the steel.
After so many years the tubes develop a wear pattern, I used to tell my helpers not to mix the tubes or they will get bound up.
The same insert needs to go into the same outter tube every time when you are done and putting it away.
The other option is: If you are on a wood floor you can build a Deabman. This entails stretching to the point you can push your bubble out and nail a 2x4 right through the carpet to the floor.. then stretch off that to the wall.
We use to do this all the time in motel hallways while stretching 150- 200 ft lengths.
Certain carpets you would not want to try this with and it is White berbers, you could get a slight discoloration from the nail.

Last edited by 26yrsinflooring; 11-08-2008 at 07:52 PM.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote