Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #1

Share |

Powder Room Floor

Ok, kitchen remodel on hold whilst I wait for electrician to come and do some work that I could probably do myself, but not sleep very well thinking my house may burn down around me while I sleep.....

On to the powder room. 30 square feet (5' X 6').

I already tore down the hardwired 80's lighted medicine cabinet and replaced with new light fixture and mirror.

I chose paint and painted (Dolphin Cove). And I have purchased MDF beadboard, baseboard and chair rail to install 4' high white beadboard .

But before I do that, I needed to settle on flooring.
I currently have old 80's what I refer to as Yellow Brick Road linoleum in there. It is in very good shape (just one little old lady lived here for 15 years prior to me).

I am really looking for fast, inexpensive, and novice level. Soooooooo, against what many of you have posted around the forum, I think I am going to go with groutable vinyl 12" X 12" tile....either Trafficmaster Ceramica or perhaps Cryntel and there is one other brand at Lowe's that is groutable.

This is a pretty low traffic area, with the exception of the one square foot in front of the toilet .

My question(s) is(are) this...and I will post pictures. Should I go through the trouble of removing the vanity? Will this make the floor install easier?
I am also thinking of removing the vanity top and replacing with new sink and counter before putting up beadboard (since the laminate counter extends all the way to the wall for no real reason that I can see.
What recommendations do you have for leveling the linoleum pattern? Any particular embossing leveler brand or quality? Also the best technique for application of leveler? Just a trowel?
Would I install beadboard behind the vanity while I have it out or just cut around it later? (I know this isn't a flooring question, but realated to the order in which I should do things to make the flooring project successful)
And, finally, if they are self stick and groutable, is it really necessary or overkill to prime floor with a self-adhesive primer apparently used by some to increase adhesion?
Attached Thumbnails
Powder Room Floor-bathroom-floor-001.jpg   Powder Room Floor-bathroom-floor-002.jpg   Powder Room Floor-bathroom-floor-004.jpg  

allbymyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #2

Powder Room Floor

no advice, huh?
well, I'm on my own I guess....I'll figure it out and post my success story.....

Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
the Musigician

Powder Room Floor

I'd pull the old lino up first, remove the vanity and replace as you suggested. Go get another fresh wax ring for when you have to pull the toilet.... Are you going to put in a wall to wall vanity? Add more drawers for storage?

DM
allbymyself (01-25-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I'd pull the old lino up first, remove the vanity and replace as you suggested. Go get another fresh wax ring for when you have to pull the toilet.... Are you going to put in a wall to wall vanity? Add more drawers for storage?

DM
Thanks for posting to my passive aggressive bump of this thread!

I reeeeeeaaaaalllly do not want to remove the old lino....condo built in mid 80's...asbestos concerns as well as sweat equity and cost concerns....

Thanks for the tip about the new wax ring...might as well while its out of there....and a good idea anyway....

I am NOT wanting to put in a wall to wall vanity....it seems silly in this small space...not sure why the builder did it in the first place. I liked the extra counter space, but rarely used it for anything more than just a pile of hand towels....Having the sink off center seems to throw the whole ergonomcs of in a way...but I posted a new thread regarding this...since it deviated from "flooring".....
Vanity is my favorite sin.....

Back to flooring....IF I tear up that lino I am most likely going to find plywood, yes? Then what to prepare it for groutable self-stick? I'm looking for the least amount of steps, the highest visual impact and longevity? well...to be honest 5 years tops...probably selling in 3 years....I live alone so there will not be tremendous wear and tear to consider......

I want to upgrade....to sell...not upgrade to my dream home....or else I would invest more monetarily , etc.....

thank you again for your thoughts.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Powder Room Floor

You aren't planning on putting the new vanity on top of the flooring, are you?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #6

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
You aren't planning on putting the new vanity on top of the flooring, are you?
No, I am planning on using the existing vanity and either vinyl tiling around it OR removing it and tiling and replacing it.........

What say you on this?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbymyself

No, I am planning on using the existing vanity and either vinyl tiling around it OR removing it and tiling and replacing it.........

What say you on this?
If it is not to complicated it would make the rest of the project easier by removing the vanity, and for the floor if the old floor is in good shape and not loose and chipping you can skim coat it with a floor patching cement and stick the new tile to that.
florpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by florpro View Post
If it is not to complicated it would make the rest of the project easier by removing the vanity, and for the floor if the old floor is in good shape and not loose and chipping you can skim coat it with a floor patching cement and stick the new tile to that.
Thank you...the more I examine that bathroom, the better it will be to just remove the vanity to do the floor AND the beadboard.....the old floor is is near perfect shape....no gauges, no chips, no peeling...not even around the edges of the floor vent....

So, floor patching cement...does it have to be specific for over linoleum? Or if I march into big box and say "point me to the floor patching cement" I'll be okay?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #9

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbymyself

Thank you...the more I examine that bathroom, the better it will be to just remove the vanity to do the floor AND the beadboard.....the old floor is is near perfect shape....no gauges, no chips, no peeling...not even around the edges of the floor vent....

So, floor patching cement...does it have to be specific for over linoleum? Or if I march into big box and say "point me to the floor patching cement" I'll be okay?
Yes you should be ok, there is different qualities we use parabond brand little more exspensive then some and i don't know if big box carries it.
florpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
the Musigician

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbymyself View Post
Or if I march into big box and say "point me to the floor patching cement" I'll be okay?
Good grief! Don't do that or they'll have you using roofing tar! LOL

Get the RIGHT answers here first, then march right to what you need....

DM
Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Powder Room Floor

Just don't buy gypsum based patch.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #12

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Good grief! Don't do that or they'll have you using roofing tar! LOL

Get the RIGHT answers here first, then march right to what you need....

DM
LMAO....true..so true.....what was I thinking?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Tileguy

Powder Room Floor

Why does everyone keep calling it linoleum? It's sheet vinyl and in this case I'm pretty sure it's Armstrong's Designer Solarian. You can bet the backing contains some asbestos, but so what? It's likely glued to 1/4" underlayment, and so if it is removed, both come up in one operation. No asbestos exposed.

I will bet that by the time you remove the top and sink etc....the vanity is likely to fall apart and you may reconsider keeping it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #14

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Just don't buy gypsum based patch.
thanks, rusty...I know that this goes against your grain...the peel and stick stuff, etc.....but I appreciate you weighing in.....

gypsum-based is just for over wood and concrete/cement, yes?
I will stay away from that patch....

I'm going to travel to a few specialized flooring places tomorrow (not big box) and test their know-how regarding this......and see if they have better products for leveling lino than big box....

So, just a skim coat should do the Yellow Brick Road?

That's good...had visions of all sorts of extra considerations.....
Old 01-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #15

Powder Room Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Why does everyone keep calling it linoleum? It's sheet vinyl and in this case I'm pretty sure it's Armstrong's Designer Solarian. You can bet the backing contains some asbestos, but so what? It's likely glued to 1/4" underlayment, and so if it is removed, both come up in one operation. No asbestos exposed.

I will bet that by the time you remove the top and sink etc....the vanity is likely to fall apart and you may reconsider keeping it.

Jaz
Ummmm, wow...thanks, Jaz?

I am calling it linoleum because it is old-ass "sheet vinyl"...and back in my day we called in linoleum....really these days I call it Yellow Brick Road.....and don't care if Armstrong or somebody's mother made it...it is ugly and it has gots to go....or in this case, be covered up....

Not removing it...so...what is your next best advice

Edited to add....that vanity is not falling apart any time soon....it is solid as a rock......

Also, edited to add...you're right it is Armstrong Designer Solarian...popular in the 60's!!!!!!!!!! Even more reason to get it out of my house! Lino (ahem, excuse please) sheet vinyl from the 60's put in a condo in the 80's that I am just now getting around to replacing in 2011!!!!! F*&^ing peel & stick groutable vinyl tiles are 100 steps up from this! No matter the opinion on them.....

Last edited by allbymyself; 01-25-2011 at 07:55 PM.