Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #1

Share |

Possible major flooring fix for bathroom

Hello. I may have a bit of an issue for my bathroom. It is a small bathroom on the 2nd floor in a 2 floor apartment type house ( the floors are separated living spaces) and I own the entire house. The issue comes with the rotted wood around the porcelain bath tub. There is no mold from what I can tell, but certain areas of the subfloor on the perimeter of the tub I can pick apart with my fingers. Above the sub-floor are 2 layers of peel and stick tiles.

I plan on removing the wall panel board and putting up FRP board or a different wall board, because the person who lived here before me painted the wall panel boards -_- and I figured I'd start at fixing the floor first. I was going to attempt removing the peel and stick tiles but past experiences tell me I'll be picking up pieces for hours.

After starting to remove some tiles around the tub I noticed the damaged boards. I guess my question is should I remove the tub and rip up everything, tear up the sub-floor around the tub, or just add a layer of wood on top of everything?

I would rather not tear out the tub but I figure there's only one way to find out if the wood is rotted, or is it more likely that the wood underneath the tub is fine? I'm open to all suggestions, but I'm currently laid off from work, so it would have to be low cost if possible and I plan to do the work myself.

ibanezrocker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Low cost not going to happen.
Very common to have rot in that area. With yours the biggest reason it rotted is because someone cheaped out and installed peel and stick tile.
I would not install that stuff in a closit.
It's left a gap and water has ran down the side of the tub.
To remove that peel and stick just use a heat gun and a puddy knife, If it was mine I would remove all of it. See just how bad the floor is once it's out.
If the rot is all the way uder the tub your in deep dodo untill you have the money for materails.
You never ever want to just cover over rotted wood it will come back and bite you in the butt.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #3

Well unless you donít want to fall through the ceiling while youíre in the tub I would suggest removing the tub. Remove the damaged flooring, see what other damage you have and replace as required. Pictures would also help...
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

I didn't have much time today to inspect the sub-floor but I will start again tomorrow and try to take some pictures. I may also inspect the floor joists if I can get to them. As for a new sub-floor, should I use 3/4 ply or 3/4 osb?

Edit: the new finished floor will likely be linoleum.

Last edited by ibanezrocker06; 01-09-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #5

Use 3/4 T & G Advantec, with constrution adhesive on top of the floor joist and screw it down with ceramic coated deck screws. It could be nailed but nails tend to pop up over time.
Over that you use 1/4" underlayment plywood making sure not to have the seams line up with the seams below. Never use louon! The 1/4" needs to be attached with no glue and every 4" on the outside edges, and every 6 to 8" in the field. I use a pneumatic narrow crown staple gun with 1-1/4 staples. By using the staple gun there's no need to fill the holes would would have if you used ring shank nails. Once it's in you have to use floor leveler to fill in any gaps and seams.
Once you start this job if it's like any bathroom I've ever worked on it's like a cancer.
To get the tub out the walls around the tub have to be stripped, since you have gone that far it's best to replace the control valve, ect. ect.
Your going to need a toe kick saw to be able to cut out the floor flush with the walls, all the floor and door trims going to have to come off.
I cut the floor into sections with a ciruler saw to make it easyer to lift out. If you cut it between the floor joist you can just stomp on it and it will pop up.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Joe nailed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
...If it was mine I would remove all of it. See just how bad the floor is once it's out. If the rot is all the way uder the tub your in deep dodo untill you have the money for materails. You never ever want to just cover over rotted wood it will come back and bite you in the butt.
(and)
Once you start this job if it's like any bathroom I've ever worked on it's like a cancer. To get the tub out the walls around the tub have to be stripped, since you have gone that far it's best to replace the control valve, ect. ect.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #7

Well it seems it's not as bad as I expected. I was wrong about the sub-floor though. I had 1x3 boards underneath the rotten 3/4 plywood, however the 1x3 boards were perfectly fine other than being close to 60 years old from what my dad says ( he use to own the property). They didn't get very wet over the years nor are there rotten spots. The rotten plywood only extended 10 inches past the tub, and the tub sits on it's own 4x8 sheet, which other than the first 2 inches of that sheet the rest is fine as it goes underneath the tub so it's safe to say that sheet is ok. ( I also checked underneath of it as much as I could see and it looked fine). I cut out all the rotten wood leaving the rest there as I didn't think it was worth the time and money to replace everything.

I got some 3/4 ply that I filled back in to replace the rotten ply and screwed that down without glue. I know it's not exactly done as suggested but I think this should be good for a while.

Now for the linoleum, do I just lay that down right on top the ply? Should I fill in all the seams with something? I guess I should also sand around the seams as there are a couple high spots.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Last edited by ibanezrocker06; 01-10-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: additional info