Possible Asbestos In Kitchen Flooring??? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Daniel Holzman
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash

Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Possible Asbestos in Kitchen Flooring???

We are in the midst of a kitchen remodel and my husband is tackling most of the jobs himself. Our house was built in 1974 (a brick ranch). Through the years we had put down sheet vinyl flooring 3 different times from 1988 through the early 2000's. We always laid the new vinyl directly on top of the previous floor, never removing and pulling up the old floor first. Now we're wanting to put down a solid hardwood floor in the kitchen and that means our back door will not open properly over the new higher hardwood floor. So my husband decided to tear up all of the old layers of vinyl. He started at the landing (a 3' by 4' area) by the back door and scraped and used a hammer and prybar to pull up that section of floor. Now I'm thinking that since this original floor was installed in 1974 that asbestos MAY be a possibility and I'm really stressing out! The original floor was from a roll of vinyl (not vinyl tiles) and was a gold pattern of squares that repeated the design. I wouldn't know if it was an Armstrong floor or what brand. I had him stop tearing it up after he had pulled up most of that small area by the back door and cover it with an underlayment paper until we figure out if we should continue. He also bagged up what he scraped up and then vacuumed the area with a shop vac with a hepa filter which he left outside after. So, any advice on what I may be facing or how great the possibility that it contains asbestos and if so what would the next step be? The ironic thing is that my husband's father worked in a steel plant for many years and was exposed to asbestos and he eventually got mesothelioma and passed. That should have made him more cautious when beginning this demo. Please advise!

Advertisement

Last edited by jcglas54; 03-20-2017 at 04:33 PM.
jcglas54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,940

Re: Possible Asbestos in Kitchen Flooring???

The only way to test for asbestos is to bring a sample to a qualified laboratory. Since your husband has already demolished part of the floor, it should be simple to get a sample for testing. Once you know whether there is asbestos present, you can develop a plan to manage the problem (or no problem).
RickMacKay likes this.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,554

+1

That said, if it is 9" by 9", it is usually asbestos. Be sure to test the mastic (i.e. glue) as well.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

------------------------------------Welcome to the forums!-------------------------

Yes, it could possibly have some in your sheet flooring. Many times it is just edge glued and removes easily with putting sanding dust in the air... easily check for that, after the test results. Here are some links to help identify your sheet goods, more links at bottom; http://inspectapedia.com/interiors/F...oto_Guides.php

The brand name/design name is usually printed on the back; http://inspectapedia.com/hazmat/Arms...st_1970-72.php

Gary
Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

For the record...don't stress out.

Most sheet material from that era was overwhelmingly not ACM (Asbestos Containing Material).

Most mastics that would be ACM would appear black and the likelihood from that time era is also slim.

A quick test at a lab will rule out both.
RickMacKay likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #6

About those flooring samples that I took in yesterday to a testing lab; I got the results today and this is what they stated:
Samples A & B (Linoleum and Mastic): No Asbestos Detected; Cellulose (Other Fibrous Material &%) at 3% and 2% for these samples. % of Non-Fibrous Material for samples A & B: 97% and 98%. Colors of these 2 samples: White and Clear. (I'm assuming these samples were from the floor that was on top of the original)

Now for the linoleum that was original to the house:
Samples C (Linoleum) and D (Mastic):
Asbestos Type (Sample C/Linoleum): Chrysotile/20%; Cellulose/20%; Non-Fibrous Material/60%; Color:Yellow
Asbestos Type (Sample D/Mastic): Chrysotile/3%; Cellulose/2%; Non-Fibrous Material/95%; Color: Tan

I spoke with a technician at a local Mold/Asbestos Remediation Company and he will be out tomorrow to give me an estimate. How much do I need to be concerned with the numbers I posted here? The area that was pulled up is from a 3'x4' area by our kitchen door. Thanks for any advice anyone can give!
Attached Thumbnails
Possible Asbestos in Kitchen Flooring???-asbestos-test-results-march-2017-cropped.jpg  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

None of this is legal advice, but the asbestos in the linoleum is suspended in a very secure and bound format.

Unless you are going to stick it through a chipper vacuum, the reality is that it is difficult for it to become friable.

What your father in law was exposed to on a Tuesday would be more dangerous than if you ground this stuff up in a coffee grinder and threw it around like confetti.

In most asbestos removal (i.e. flooring) the mastic is the more dangerous and friable material.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #8

Thanks, I'm trying not to stress too much about this and have very limited knowledge about asbestos. It sounds like I may be worrying excessively when maybe I don't need to be. I am however having someone come out this evening just to see what if anything needs to be done. I will be getting a free estimate and the company I'm dealing with has come highly recommended with A+ ratings so hopefully everything will be honest and upright.
I am in my early 60's and as a child I grew up in an older house in Western NY and I remember the huge furnace in the basement with ductwork going in every direction and came to find out later in life that all of that was wrapped in asbestos. Everything that is now considered very dangerous and harmful to one's health wasn't given a second thought back in those days.
Thanks again for the feedback and I'll cross my fingers that no damage was done.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

The stuff on the furnace and piping is much more dangerous than your linoleum, but only when disturbed.

Either way, you should be fine. Again, what your father in law got was not even comparable.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 526

When I removed my asbestos siding in the '90's, it was 17% and the city dump took it, no problem. Only when sanding without some breathing protection should you get worried, IMO, and lead paint is also dangerous to be on guard for- also mainly sanding it. Let us know the outcome...

Gary

Advertisement