Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Possible Asbestos?

The other day I was getting ready to do my first tile job to update a room in my basement (cement floor) with a new look. I noticed the sheet vinyl/linoleum was curling at the edges and saw this black cushy stuff underneath. They both came up very easy around the edges but that quickly changed when I got to the middle of the room.

At any rate I just thought about the possibly of asbestos. The house was built in 64' but I'm unsure of when they actually finished the basement. Below is a picture of where the vinyl tore:

http://postimg.org/image/vo4uv0llj/

and here's the floor it was on:

http://s9.postimg.org/cl1eo4tmn/100_1183.jpg

The reason it looks a bit smeared is because I tried using a wallpaper steamer to hopefully lift the black stuff from the cement easier. Other than that I used a 1" putty knife and scrap it up.

Having browsed the web for at least an hour now I was curious if the sheet vinyl is the kind with asbestos? It mostly seems like asbestos, when it comes to flooring, was generally used on the "tile" vinyl. The black tar like stuff doesn't have it either or at least that's what I gather from the Internet. Thanks!

Edit: And since I'm here. Is there an easy way to get that black spongy/cushy crap off of the cement easily?

Last edited by knight508; 08-06-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
knight508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,926

Possible Asbestos?

Sheet goods might and the old cutback adhesive--most likely--

Wet the area to contain any dust and vacuum it up--then use a razor scraper to remove as much of the cutback as you can---

Asbestos is only a hazard if it can become airborne---so spraying down the dust,if any, is a good idea.

Do not use solvents to remove the cutback---this would cause bonding issues ,as the stuff soaks into the concrete---

If you wish to use ceramic tile, you can set right over the cut back if you use a two part thinset like Kerabond and Keralastic.

If you want to use vinyl tile,you must encapsulate the cutback under a layer of self leveling compound---I have had good success with Jifset and Linewebbers liquid latex---

Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

Possible Asbestos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Sheet goods might and the old cutback adhesive--most likely--

Wet the area to contain any dust and vacuum it up--then use a razor scraper to remove as much of the cutback as you can---

Asbestos is only a hazard if it can become airborne---so spraying down the dust,if any, is a good idea.

Do not use solvents to remove the cutback---this would cause bonding issues ,as the stuff soaks into the concrete---

If you wish to use ceramic tile, you can set right over the cut back if you use a two part thinset like Kerabond and Keralastic.

If you want to use vinyl tile,you must encapsulate the cutback under a layer of self leveling compound---I have had good success with Jifset and Linewebbers liquid latex---
Thanks for the tips! I was almost going to go grab some of this stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sentinel-...6#.UgJg7axWqPo

I'll fill a Homer bucket with hot water instead, let it soak for a bit, and try scrapping it up. I'll be using porcelain tiles so I'll be aiming for close to 99% cement exposure. Unfortunately there are some spots as you'll notice from the floor picture where the vinyl tears in half and sticks to the cutback. I'm assuming if I let the hot water soak enough It would penetrate. Fortunately I do have an asbestos rated mask/filter and a window so I'll get some negative pressure in the room to outside just in case.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
DIY staff

Possible Asbestos?

There is little danger from that asbestos--it is stuck into the cutback and is not going airborne---heck---only dynamite would get that into the air---

Soak the areas with the backer stuck to it and do your best to get off as much as you can---then get a good two part thinset and get the job started---some of the best modified thinsets are rated for use over cutback---
If you choose to go that route,call the manufacturer and ask which ones are okay for that----
knight508 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 79

Possible Asbestos?

I have had good luck removing a black foam backed vinyl flooring using TSP (TriSodium Phosphate). Soaked and the scraped off with the razor scraper.
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaineLL For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Possible Asbestos?

Keep it wetted while you scrape. Then wipe it up. Dispose of the rags, don't wash them and reuse them. Worst thing you could do is vacuum it up. Unless you have a wet rated HEPA vac, it will dry out in the vac very quickly and in no time you'll be doing exactly what you don't want, blowing fine particles of asbestos into the air. Asbestos is more likely in old tiles, but I've seen plenty in sheet goods as well. Adhesives are hit or miss. Testing is the only way to be sure.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #7

Possible Asbestos?

Thanks again for the tips. I was curious though...does this cutback adhesive come in squishy like foamy/rubbery thin pads? Or is it like a glue/tar you spread? This stuff actually seems more like a "cushy" pad placed underneath the vinyl for possibly sound dampneing. I did some more scraping today and realized the only spot that's giving be issues is where I steamed. Everywhere else the stuff comes up with moderate to easy difficulty. I googled a bunch of "cutback adhesive" pictures and didn't see any of the black pad stuff I have. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
DIY staff

Possible Asbestos?

Cut back is an adhesive---looks like roofing tar----

You are looking at an old padded sheet goods---that will not hurt you lungs---just your back from all the scraping---

knight508 (08-10-2013)

Tags
asbestos