Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |

porcelain tile shower, bath, and floor

I am remodelling our bathroom and have installed a new shower/bath. The enclosure is 1/2 durock and the floor will be 1/4 durock. My question is where the face of the enclosure meets the floor. The face and floor will be using the same porcelain tile. I intend to use RedGard on all of the Durock.

Attached is a photo of the face and floor.

My question is how should I prepare the 90 degree seam from the floor to the face? I used alkali mesh tape and modified latex thin set mortar to do the seams on the Durock and I was thinking of doing the same for the floor seam, however, I'm concerned about problems in that seam over time since the floor will see high traffic.

The floor is 2x8 joints on 16 centers. Double joists by the toilet. Sub floor is 3/4 CDX plywood and 1/2 CDX on top running the opposite direction. Screwed and glued.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
porcelain tile shower, bath, and floor-100_0468.jpg  

worthspending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

The doggone ads make it impossible to read you post. Try posting it about 3 more times.

If you are talking about where your bath walls meet the floor, you don't need to tape this. It is not a waterproofed area.

If you are talking about where the shower walls meet the floor, this is a horse of a different color.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthspending View Post
I am remodelling our bathroom and have installed a new shower/bath. The enclosure is 1/2 durock and the floor will be 1/4 durock. My question is where the face of the enclosure meets the floor. The face and floor will be using the same porcelain tile. I intend to use RedGard on all of the Durock.

Attached is a photo of the face and floor.

My question is how should I prepare the 90 degree seam from the floor to the face? I used alkali mesh tape and modified latex thin set mortar to do the seams on the Durock and I was thinking of doing the same for the floor seam, however, I'm concerned about problems in that seam over time since the floor will see high traffic.

The floor is 2x8 joints on 16 centers. Double joists by the toilet. Sub floor is 3/4 CDX plywood and 1/2 CDX on top running the opposite direction. Screwed and glued.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Repeated the post so I could read it.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
DIY staff

2x8 floor joist are rather small---if you let us know how long they are from foundation to center beam,someone will run a span chart for you.

If you are going to Redguard the floor in front of the tub ,then that seam needs to be packed and taped with thinset.

You picture is confusing. Is this a deck mounted tub?
You mentioned a shower/tub---if so--why is there durrock on the face of the tub?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Tileguy

Worth,

That picture means nothing to us. You need to back out a little so others can orient the situation.

Why is the top layer of ply going the opposite direction and why glued?

Yes, tape that inside corner, then apply 2 coats of Redgard. Waterproofing the walls is important, although as Mike mentioned, I don't know if it's a tub or shower or what.

Bath floor do not require waterproofing, as it's almost impossible to make them hold water anyway, but it won't hurt to try.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #6

The joists are 2x8x10 that span 10 feet to a center beam. The home is 100 years old. The 2x8's are what the old boy would refer to as "real 2x8". The smallest width is 1 3/4 inches and some of them actually measure a full two inches.

I could put additional 2x8 from the bottom if the calculation says it needs it.

worthspending is offline   Reply With Quote