Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #1

Share |

Porcelain Tile with sharp edges

I am considering purchasing some porcelain tile for a laundry room. However, the tile with color and size (18x18) I like also has a very sharp edge from the manufacturer. Other tiles seem to have a slight eased edge. Is it possible to sand/ease the edges of the tile prior to install? Is that what the pros would do? In my opinion, the install would have to be dead level and perfect to avoid sharp corners with this tile. Should I just keep looking for a different tile?
crackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Tileguy

Porcelain Tile with sharp edges

Hi Crackpot,

I installed a tile like that several years ago, what a pain, had to wear gloves because of the sharpness.

What you have is a poorly finished rectified tile. It was made the normal way, then it was put through a rectifier which grinds the tiles to make them square, hence no eased edges. Tiles are rectified so they can be set closer and reduce the amount of "grout valley". It's a nicer look and easier to maintain.......however rectified tiles are harder to work with.

You need a very flat floor and take your time setting them. Normally the spec is for the floor to be flat within 1/4" in 10 ft. and 1/16" in 12" of the required plane. With large tiles you want it flatter than that, I say within 1/8" in 10 ft. max. Maybe keep looking if your floor isn't that flat.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote