Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Porcelain tile over linoleum floor

Hello all,

Sorry if this is a repeat thread... I search for literally and hour for this question to prevent repeats.

I am as new as it gets to DIY home projects and I am seeking some expert advise! After reading so many other threads i am confident I'm at the right place.

We noticed that there are already two linoleum floors down in the kitchen and are almost positive the bottom floor will contain asbestos. I understand we SHOULD pick up both floors (read at least 40 other threads and saw this numerous times per thread) to get to the subfloor but that top linoleum floor is glued down solid through out the whole kitchen (no air bubbles, creaks in the floor/ weak spots). Also, we don't want to deal with any asbestos problems and the height of the tile on top of the linoleum is almost perfect with the height of the tile in the hallway (a random surprise!).

So my question is what is the best mortar we can use to put tile on top of the linoleum floor? Century Tile employee suggested 254 Platium Laticrete. Would you agree? Is there a mortar available at home depot or Lowes that is just as good or better (cuz we have soooo many gift cards for there )?

Have no idea if this matters but i will put it out there.
- size of tile is 13x13
- 130 sq. ft kitchen
- house is ~ 50 years old

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!

Jac121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

Remove the vinyl - all of it.
You haven't convinced me it can't be done, you just don't want to do it.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,348

Every new DIY thinks there is some magic product out there for everything.
Not true, proper prep is 90% of every job, the linouium needs to go if you want tile. If you want engineered hardwood, laminite, strip linoilum then leave it and just go right over it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

Could you please explain why placing tile on linoleum is not a good idea? I don't mean to make this sound super lazy i honestly just don't understand why. Will the mortar not adhere to it? Is it that you are depending to much on the linoleum glue to hold?

Also, the cabinets are place on top of both linoleum floors (each have a thin wood subfloor underneath). How do you suggest cutting out the floor around the cabinets to remove the linoleum floors? (The width of the cabinets over the tile is ~3 inches and is about 3 inches high.)

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
Also, the cabinets are place on top of both linoleum floors (each have a thin wood subfloor underneath). How do you suggest cutting out the floor around the cabinets to remove the linoleum floors? (The width of the cabinets over the tile is ~3 inches and is about 3 inches high.)
It is done every day.

Quote:
Could you please explain why placing tile on linoleum is not a good idea? I don't mean to make this sound super lazy i honestly just don't understand why.
That information is here hundreds of times, do a search and check it out.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

A toe kick saw. The 1/4 " plywood underlayment needs to be removed also.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #7

Adding more floor height to your already high floor throws off the doorways, trasitions to other flooring, base trim.
Thin set will not stick to linolium,
Chance of a slight cushioning effect which will end up forming a gap which will cause the grout to crack.
You use what's called a Toe Kick Saw to cut up tight to the walls and under the Toe Kick on the cabinets, An ossilating saw would be great to get into the inside corners.
I cut the plywood into sections to make it far easyer to remove with a ciruler saw.
I use what's called a Gutster to lift the plywood.
http://www.amazon.com/The-32-Gutster.../dp/B003YCLYBU
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-3-8-e...saw-94626.html

Last edited by joecaption; 01-05-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,230

if you don't remove old linoleum your tile job will fail...don't waste you time or money.....if the century tile guy said to use a certian mortor..then he answered your question..... no need to get any more ideas he's your guy...but ask him how many tile jobs has he done ....ask one of his sub-contractors if they would do that??
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

Thank you again for your replies. Bud, telling someone research is out there is not very helpful and is not even worth your time typing. I wouldn't come to a forum without doing some research first but i obviously didn't find it or i couldn't tell if it was creditable. If i was a contractor or a tile layer then your answer is appropriate but you are talking to someone that has held a hammer maybe 10 times, owns next to 0 tools, and works with computers/databases for a living.

To everyone else, thanks for the tips/information and speedy replies! I at least have an idea of the tools i need to do the job done the right way and can hopefully take it from here.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
...and works with computers/databases for a living.
Well good then doing a search isn't new to you.

Quote:
I understand we SHOULD pick up both floors...
Also, we don't want to deal with any asbestos...
...and the height of the tile on top of the linoleum is almost perfect with the height of the tile in the hallway...
So my question is what is the best mortar we can use to put tile on top of the linoleum floor?
Here's the problem [Jac]...
You don't intend to do this any other way than what you have described in your first post. Your intentions are clear. I see no reason for me to waste my time explaining to you why this should not be done your way when you have no intention of listening and when the answers to your questions are here over and over and over again. I know this because I am the one that has been posting this same information for about six years here.

You are stumped at the moment on which thinset to use over the vinyl, that is your only real question. The rest of your fodder is bait.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #11

We work on houses for a living and have done this same exact job many many times, we have nothing to gain by suggesting you do more work then needed to do the job right.
We only get paid one time to do it right, if it fails guess who looses money. Most of us at one time or another have taken a few short cuts like your trying to do and it failed.
Do some more research, go to a real tile store and ask your questions, I'm sure someone will agree with you but find out how they know it will work.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac121 View Post
Could you please explain why placing tile on linoleum is not a good idea?
All the materials for installing porcelain tile is rigid. It cannot, and does not flex. Linoleum flexes. Because of that, if you install porcelain tile floor on top of linoleum, the flex in the floor will cause the thinset and grout to crumble, and very likely will crack the tiles when you walk on them. It will fail within the first week. Likely even the first day.

Last edited by DrHicks; 01-06-2012 at 07:35 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote