Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |

Porcelain Tile Installation Costs

Hi All,

I had a contractor come in today and had a look at our entrance hallway in our townhouse, the floor is basically 100sqft.

His quote for this was $1200, he said he would provide the materials and I would only have to provide the tiling.

He said this quote would cover remove the old tiling install the new tiles in a diagonal pattern.

Is this a normal, it does seem a bit high to me.

I also had him look our master bathroom and he would replace the tiles around the shower wall and from the around the hot tub and also the flooring.

He gave an estimate of 3000 for the bathroom. He said the main costs came into play for the removal of the drywall around the hot tub and replacing it.

But for the hallway combined with the bathroom he said he would charge about $3600.

Does this sound rather pricey to anyone?

P.S I also checked Home Depot and the charges they have are around about 5-6 $ per sqft.

Thanks

pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #2

Where are you located ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #3

Chicago, IL
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Tileguy

Keep in mind that it's not possible to answer this kind of question accurately. This is why we frown answering them because since it's a waste of time and we would do a disservice to you and everyone else reading. Do some research on how it should be done, then get a few estimates from "licensed tile contractors" in your area.

You did not list the scope of work to be done, you left out a few steps. Like; what will he have to do to the floor after he removes the old flooring. You didn't even say whether the substrate is a slab or wooden, which makes a big difference. OK, so is it wood or a slab?

You also are misleading people by saying the orange place will do the work for under $6, therefore implying their price will be about $600. NO WAY!.

They get $5.85 around here for the basic installation, but that is just for the tiles. If your floor is wood that price will double, then they'll also add another $400-500 to remove the old and another $100 or so for diagonal. Then add for several other misc. things.

Then of course is the question of whether their subcontractors' have a ability to do the job properly. Often that is not the case since they expect a contractor to do all flooring installations, carpet, laminate, vinyl and ceramic.

Chances are that price is too low, BUT that all depends on the man's qualifications and how the work will be done. Most everyone is cutting labor prices to levels of 15-20 years ago.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-06-2011), Scuba_Dave (01-05-2011)