- completely gutted our bathroom
- everything new
- subfloor 1 1/4 inch CDX plywood
- 1/4 inch durock on top of vesabond mortar and screwed correctly
- redgard (leftover from shower / tub)
- 12 inch porcelain tiles set using flexbond mortar
- lines / gaps perfect and everything level
- used a short and long level the entire job
- vertical, horizontal, and diagonal
- tiles have been setting for two days
- installed new closet flange and it was sitting pretty
- proceeded to install toilet.
Um... oh-oh... Two tiles in front of the toilet dropped almost but not quite 1/8 of an inch. Just enough to make the toilet rock. I have heard about using plastic shims, however, I think the best thing to do would be to pull up the two problem tiles and set new ones in place. I mean, I've come this far. I would hate to do all that work and leave it like that.
The tiles didn't sag from anything other than me doing it.
The question: What would be the best approach to removing the tiles without destroying the durock underneath??