Pool Tile - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

pool tile

I have a pool in Phoenix Arizona. I bought this house not too long ago. I drained the pool because of the old water and I wanted to clean everything. Some of the tiles were missing when I bought the home. I can tell that behind about 10% of the tiles it is hollow, and water can probably get behind those tiles and cause them to fall off as well.

I have all of the tiles to re-tile the area, but I'm not sure if I should re-tile the entire pool or just the areas where the tile is hollow? Also, I am curious as how to keep this area waterproof and make sure this doesn't happen again.

I forgot to mention that the tiles are only around the waterline, the rest of the pool is pebbletec.

maybe this thread belongs in another forum...sorry to flooring experts but I consider all tile flooring related.

Advertisement

Last edited by lendosky; 01-26-2011 at 11:50 AM.
lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

pool tile

The tile is there to cover the joint between the top of the wall and the bond beam. It does not need to be water tight behind the tile because the cold joint ( you can see the joint where you are missing tile) in the pool shell is at the top of tile row and above the water line...so no leak. The hollow tiles have been that way since the pool was built so dont sweat it. You should go to your pool store and get a good tile adhesive caulk and just stick um back on (after you lower your water level a foot or so for a couple days before so the wall is good and dry) then grout them in with the same caulk. Yes it's a band-aid but it will last a few years and is cheap and easy. I dont suggest a re-tile if less than 40%-50% of the tile are loose..... and they will come loose just give them time.

Advertisement

STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

pool tile

remove old tiles. apply a waterproofing agent to the concrete substrate or whatever the pool is made out of. MAPEI has a good one for areas under constant water immersion. Retile area using an epoxy mortar. Grout tile with an expoxy grout.
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote