Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #1

Share |

Polished and Unpolished Concrete Floor Questions

I have looked and read all around, over and over again (for a few years), but i cant find what im looking for. (also have been discouraged from asking 'pros' since i have yet to see any in or near the area i live.) Somebody claiming to know what to do came out, but seemed very very, how do i say, dumb. like he just decided to do this type of work that morning.

Anyways...

We built our new house a couple/few years ago, i did a lot of the work. We wanted concrete floors.

We first started looking into staining our concrete floors, but we stopped looking into that since we didnt really like stained concrete we just like plain concrete, but wanted a polished look.

Then we looked into polished concrete, which turned out not to be what we were looking for since most if not all polished concrete shows the aggregate/gravel in the concrete, which we do not like either.

So then we looked into sealers, reached a point where we needed to just move in and get on with our lives, and basically hurried and did something that probably was a bad idea, but whatever, it hasnt been that bad. we did an acid wash, and applied a "wet look" sealer, which besides roller marks, and oil stains from a leaking scissor lift we used inside, looked close to what we wanted. (i used about a dozen different oil stain remover products, but non worked, they just spread the stain out bigger.)

Anyways, i was in a wal-mart the other day that was remodeling their entire store. They had scrapped all the linoleum tile off the floor and then applied some kind of EXTREMELY thick sealer to the concrete, like a quarter inch thick. I wanted that look, but i think they did something else to the floor after that, so i dont know what that was or why they did it.

so i guess my question is how do i make plain concrete shiny....

in front of our sink, and dishwasher, the concrete is very shiny, i believe because it gets the most traffic....thats what we like, but if we could get it to shine like that, we would want to seal it some how to prevent staining, and water absorption so its easier to clean as well.

i dont know, just very lost.

thanks.

pretzels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #2

http://www.concretenetwork.com/
May want to try this web site for better info.
Never understood why anyone would want a cold, hard on your back and feet, high maintance floor like concrete but ha it's your home.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

On certain industrial projects I have worked on, including one for an aircraft maintenance hanger, the concrete was covered using a two part epoxy finish. Definitely not a DIY project, during application the workers required special NIOSH masks, but the end result is a very hard, very shiny surface that does not attract dust. You might check with SIKA, they supply specialized finishes, I am not actually certain which brand was used on the project.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
http://www.concretenetwork.com/
May want to try this web site for better info.
Never understood why anyone would want a cold, hard on your back and feet, high maintance floor like concrete but ha it's your home.
i have looked there.

we have been completely happy with our concrete, the only thing we dont like are the oil stains, and the lack of glossy finish.

however, with children, i might should wait on the whole polished glossy look....if it gets wet, it gets dangerous. right now its not as bad.

if we didnt have concrete we would get tile....wouldnt that be more maintance, as well as cold, and hard. and carpets gross.

i have read about people saying concrete is high maintenance.....maybe im missing something, what am i supposed to be doing to it. it looks like plain concrete.....
Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #5

I'm glad I seen this thread. My husband and me are wanting to build a house this year and we want to have a glossy stained concrete floor with radiant floor heating under it.

We will probably stain ours some type of color but we want the glossy finish also. I was wanting to know what we would have to use to make it have a nice glossy finish.

Did you do the staining yourself and was it easy to do? I know if we didn't like ours we would just put another flooring over the top of it.
reveriereptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveriereptile View Post
I'm glad I seen this thread. My husband and me are wanting to build a house this year and we want to have a glossy stained concrete floor with radiant floor heating under it.

We will probably stain ours some type of color but we want the glossy finish also. I was wanting to know what we would have to use to make it have a nice glossy finish.

Did you do the staining yourself and was it easy to do? I know if we didn't like ours we would just put another flooring over the top of it.
i acid washed it and sealed it, i did not stain it. like i said previously, we didnt really want a color added, we just wanted it to be shiny, and we didnt want the aggregate/gravel showing through like when its polished. i only acid washed it because some directions said to so the sealer sticks better. however, acid washing makes it porous.....rougher, and the sealer still just comes off. like in a year. so i wish i would have just sealed it, and avoided the acid wash.....since it seems pointless.

(however i had no experience with this, so dont listen to me.)

I would recommend working with/hiring some one who specializes in concrete finishing/staining, before the concrete is poured. (so they can over see the pouring/finishing process. Apparently, sometimes the concrete gets sealed or finished in a way that makes staining harder....i dont know though. just stuff i heard.

i try to do everything myself, and usually do because i can read up and experiment with stuff before i do it, but this has been an issue because i havent been able to find any info other than polishing or staining...which isnt what i want.

i am contemplating just painting the floor, because of the dumb oil stains.