Plywood Over Existing Subfloor - Not Glued? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

plywood over existing subfloor - not glued?

been reading a lot of the posts here on floor prep and tiling. I want to tile my bathroom - right now new construction with 5/8 t&g over 2x12 joists 16" o/c. The bathroom is @ 8'x8' at one end of the 13' joist span. Joists are also blocked mid point. The floor is very solid.

from what I gather so far I should lay down another 1/2" exterior grade ply over the existing subfloor, then my heat mesh and thinset or SLC, then backer (Ditra? - everyone raves about it and I think I can buy it by the foot here now) - then thinset + tile (probably porcelain).

question - I'm thought I read in a couple threads that the 1/2" ply should not be glued down to the subfloor, and should also not be screwed directly into the joists. Do I have this right, and if so, what's the reason? I would have guessed that glue and screw, with long screws right into the joists would be strongest. But I'm a bathroom floor tile newbie so I just want to get it right.

the easiest approach would be to staple down the heat mesh and thinset + tile right over top of the existing subfloor - but I got a feeling I'm cutting way too many corners that way.

thanks for any info / advice...

Advertisement

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

Check out the Schluter website (they make the Ditra). They have an excellent manual on proper installation procedure for their product, including details about floor prep, installation of subfloor, installation of electric floor heat etc. I believe they indicate that the second layer of subfloor should not be attached to the joists, I can't remember the reason, but when I did my floor I remember reading this point. It was not applicable in my case since the second layer of plywood was already installed.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,038

http://www.apa-europe.org/Languages/.../PDF/R340G.pdf

Gary
Old 10-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

Daniel / GBR - got both docs - excellent - thanks very much.
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote