Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Share |

Please Help (Is this shoddy work?)

(photos in follow-up post below)

I have 2 guys from the flooring store where I bought my Teragren flooring installing it. They aren't using tapping blocks - I see a lot of little spots that look like slight delamination (? not sure if that's the right term) along the edges of the boards. One place where there is an outright chip. They had a ton of problems installing around closets and doors and have ended up shaving off part of the tongue/groove mechanism and then gluing with urethane glue from a caulk gun (not wood glue).

These are my main problems. Does this all sound normal?

If it were ME installing, I would use a tapping block, I would discard any board that had been chipped (another board that was used had a tiny piece of the corner chipped off). My standards are high. I thought about telling them from the get-go, "Look, I seem to have bad luck with contractors and end up getting people who don't care about quality work. I DO care and I am probably what you'd call 'picky'. Just a heads-up" but I was advised by friends that would just put them on the defensive and to keep my mouth shut. So I did... now I'm sitting in the back room trying to not even WATCH them because they're stressing me out so much with their rubber hammer and NO TAPPING BLOCK and the GLUING of my CLICK boards after SHAVING the click part off. Also they left an expansion gap along the width, but barely any on the length.

Please help me ... I don't know if I'm just expecting too much or if I, as usual, am getting crappy work! (This is why people DIY! My husband warned me, but I just really didn't want to do this job, around 2 closets, a fire place and 5 doorways!

(They also told me this has been their hardest install ever - is Teragren really hard to put together, or are they just inexperienced!? I should have known - I went to this store because Teragren listed them as a retailer, but they didn't actually carry it, but the salesman was so kind and eager, he ordered samples for me, and mainly because of him, I went with them. I should have thought, "Yes, this means the installers will also be inexperienced with this product"

$5,600+ for this floor.... Ugh.

Last edited by javafinch; 02-28-2011 at 12:40 PM.
javafinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Hard to say without pictures. Post some up, and let the people here be the jury

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Ez2

Teragren is a manufacturer of bamboo flooring products. Bamboo can sometimes be difficult to install if the milling of the wood is incorrect but 80 percent of the times it goes good.
Regarding the method of installation, if the installers have problems putting it together they should use a scrap piece and hit that. Also I don't know why they are cutting the tongue of and glueing pieces, I have never done that and there should be no reason for it unless you run at the end of the wall. Gluing with polyurethane glue is far more superior than wood glue, u shouldn't worry about that.
Really I just want to say that it sounds like you have amatures installing your floor. You may have gotten riped off
Ez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Yes, it sounds like shoddy work. Don't pay them, until you are satisfied.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

If they've bunged up the edges of the flooring pieces, they've done a crappy job.

RustyBaker is right. No payment until it's done right.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Not so new

Now hold on just one d*** minute. How is anybody supposed to comment on something that we've never seen. If you want honest professional feedback, for gods sake include some pictures with your post!

And to those that replied. Frankly I'm a little tired of the contractor bashing that goes on all to frequently here. Have you seen pictures? You'll have this woman whipped into a froth and ready for small claims court.

If theres a problem with the install and she points that out to the owner of the company I'm sure he'll make it right. But to tell her she's being "ripping off" is just plain wrong.

This concludes rant.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Uhh, the poster says they are installing chipped boards and shaving off the click and gluing boards together. Unless the poster is not telling the truth, that is not the right way to install.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Not so new

I've had to take some off as well depending on where the board has to go. As in under door jambs and such. That way you can slide the tounge and groove together without lifting the other edge. As long as they glued the toungue and groove, I dont see the problem. As for the chips...no excuse but alls ya have to do is ask them to fix it.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
Now hold on just one d*** minute. How is anybody supposed to comment on something that we've never seen. If you want honest professional feedback, for gods sake include some pictures with your post!

And to those that replied. Frankly I'm a little tired of the contractor bashing that goes on all to frequently here. Have you seen pictures? You'll have this woman whipped into a froth and ready for small claims court.

If theres a problem with the install and she points that out to the owner of the company I'm sure he'll make it right. But to tell her she's being "ripping off" is just plain wrong.

This concludes rant.
Going around corners and/or into closets is a royal painus in the anus. Agreed.

But bending and/or chipping the edges of the laminate is inexcusable for a "professional." They need to remove the damaged pieces and do it right.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Not so new

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Going around corners and/or into closets is a royal painus in the anus. Agreed.

But bending and/or chipping the edges of the laminate is inexcusable for a "professional." They need to remove the damaged pieces and do it right.

Agreed
Old 02-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Agreed
I've been surprised by how much more difficult some brands of laminate go together, than other brands. Some are a real pain.

Our church men's group was putting down a laminate floor for a Boys Home last summer. Unbelievably difficult. Turns out that there were little "milling crumbs" on the edges of most of the pieces. Almost dust, but just enough to make it impossible to snap them together unless you first wiped them down.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #12

take a piece of scrap and run it up and down the tongue Dr . A lot of that cheap stuff you have to scarf em to clean em out.
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #13

Here are some photos.

Here is the glue mess they left all over the floor. They used mineral spirits to try to clean it at the end, obviously that didn't work. I tried to call Teragren today to find out what to do. The installer said something about coming back to 'buff' them off if they bothered me.

Here are 2 opposite sides in the hallway (didn't realize how awful my door trim looks! It's an old house!) - this is the width of the floor here, so expansion gaps are pretty important, right? One side it's TIGHT against the wall, and the other side .... correct me if I'm wrong, but how is the 'gap' even useful with that piece blocking it?

The dings they made from not using tapping blocks aren't a huge deal, because you have to crawl around on the floor to find them - BUT the fact that they were so sloppy with the glue and didn't use tapping blocks showed they just weren't very careful.

Here is one of the dings:

And they left a bunch of scraps in the expansion gap (THE only wall they actually left one!) most came out but this one in the corner was jammed in - I had to get a box cutter and cut the wall out and dig at it for about 10 minutes before I was able to free it. Had I not noticed it, come summer it might have been an issue:

My main concerns at this point before I pay the other 1/2 I owe the flooring place is the GLUE stains and the lack of expansion gaps.
javafinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
As for the chips...no excuse but alls ya have to do is ask them to fix it.

if they are indeed professionals, she should not have to ask them to fix it.
12penny (03-01-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

They did a terrible job. Some of those end joints have gaps. That lack of expansion gaps will cause the floor to buckle. Don't pay them until they fix it to your satisfaction.