Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Please Help!!!! Pet Urine and Laminate Floors

Someone please help! I recently moved out of an old apartment that had some shoddy laminate floor tiles installed in the bathroom. (they were uneven, had spaces in between them, corners coming up, etc.) I never reported it to my landlord because I figured they knew, considering that they said the apartment came "as it".
Anyway, while I was living there, I had my dog living with me who would have a lot of accidents on the laminate floors. (he's an old dog with some control issues.) I would always clean up after him of course, mopping and disinfecting the floors.
Now that I have moved out, the landlord is trying to tell me that they had to replace the floor tiles because of damages - dog urine - that the dog urine actually caused the floor tiles to come up.
I looked at the floor after they tore it up and didn't see what looked like dog urine spots, although I could be mistaken considering I've never seen or heard of this before.
So please, can anyone tell me if it's possible, that dog urine can cause that kind of damage to a laminate floor? Or is my landlord just trying to keep my security deposit...
Please help and thank you!!!

Jessica89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica89 View Post
So please, can anyone tell me if it's possible, that dog urine can cause that kind of damage to a laminate floor? Or is my landlord just trying to keep my security deposit...
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, urine can do all kinds of damage, and probably yes, unfortunately for you.

DM

Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Any type of moisture can damage a laminate floor over time. Did the dog urine do it? Who knows? A bathroom is a bad place for laminate, anyway.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #4

The landlord seems to have the upper hand here especially since he has your deposit and he knows about the dog living there. Laminate flooring is easily damaged by moisture and should never have been used in a bathroom. Pets generally cause an increase in the rent/deposit so check out your contract for more information about additional liability. Next time before renting be sure to check laminate floor etc conditions and take pictures and notes

Last edited by aggreX; 03-09-2010 at 04:45 PM.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #5

Agreed, you landlord is going to keep your deposit in this situation and if your dog has a bladder control problem, he is probably justified in doing so. If it was your own house that you were trying to sell, you would still have to get rid of the urine smell and it would cost you more that the amount of your deposit. If you look at it that way, your still came out ahead of your landlord, if that's any consolation.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
ews
Portlander

Yes, dog urine that seep into the flooring and ruin it underneath. Pets are hard on flooring. That is the reason why many landlords do not like tolerating them in their property. They just cause so much damage. There is a good chance the landlord has a valid complaint again you.
ews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #7

I just wrote a thread on this.. Yes, they can damage a floor. My floors are around 13 years old and they are ruined. The urine runs down in the laminate and it actually gets soft. and I have places you would not believe. Almost every seam is buckling. You will have to pay up, sorry!!!

PARIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damages, dog urine, help!, laminant flooring, true or false