Please Help. Contractor Says He's Finished - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please help. contractor says he's finished

Just had flooring and carpet ripped up, and high polished crema marfil installed. Contractor says the floors are done - says they've been sealed and polished.

Some of the tiles have areas that do not shine. There are areas in some of the tiles that have thin white cloud-like areas. These areas do not shine. This concerns me very much because I thought there was supposed to be a consistent shiny gloss for a crema marfil floor. I would think the only exception to this would be the occasional vein on the surface.

My specific question: Is a high polished crema marfil floor supposed to have a consistent shiny gloss?

Please help. Contractor says he is done and wants to get paid.

Advertisement

cayosusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I can`t say any thing about what you and your contractor have in writing, BUT-
Maybe posting a picture of what your talking about might be of help. Also, have you tried to sponge the tile/tiles ( Warm Water ) to see if it is just left over grout?

Advertisement

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

I can't comment on the appearance or quality of the marble since I can't see it. (got pics)? Who supplied the marble? I can't guess as to who is responsible for the materials. Where were the materials purchased?

Generally the job is finished when the tile contractor grouts the installation. The final clean up and sealing is not automatically part of the installation. The homeowner or general contractor is responsible for final clean up unless it was added to the original contract. Most people are willing to save money and do this themselves, while others want it done for free even though it wasn't included in the quote.

However, this "norm" varies by location and may not be the way things are done where you live. Generally people want to pay the lowest price for installation but still would like the tile contractor to do all the "extras" for no charge. That's why who does what should be discussed before the contract is agreed to. Need more details to make an evaluation.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayosusa View Post
Some of the tiles have areas that do not shine. There are areas in some of the tiles that have thin white cloud-like areas. These areas do not shine.
He smeared grout on the tile surface.
If this is a Material Breach of Contract I guess you can get him to make it right. If he's licensed, try the licensing agency, other Consumer Affairs for your area, otherwise your state's attorney.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 208

Can you post some pictures?
What did you ask/say to the contractor when you realized there was cloud like patches?
Were there discussions at the time of contract/agreement as to what were the expectations?
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Jheeeeeeezh! Before you do anything... take a dry soft cloth, terry cloth or baby diaper, or etc. and lightly rub on the "cloudy" areas. If this corrects the problem then pay the guy. Sounds like a little left-over grout residue but until you check it out there's no reason to be calling in the National Guard.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Jheeeeeeezh! Before you do anything... take a dry soft cloth, terry cloth or baby diaper, or etc. and lightly rub on the "cloudy" areas. If this corrects the problem then pay the guy. Sounds like a little left-over grout residue but until you check it out there's no reason to be calling in the National Guard.
I agree

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote