Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please evaluate these floors

Hello - new here, first post. I'm going to jump right in and ask for input, hope that's ok.

Just had our white oak floors refinished. Honest evaluation and/or criticism is appreciated. There is, of course, a story behind this, which I'm happy to share, but I'd really like to know if the floors read as walnut-stained white oak floors should read, or if there are problems.

Thanks so much

As a point of reference, the last image (specialwalnut) is how we imagined the floors would turn out.
Attached Thumbnails
Please evaluate these floors-floor1.jpg   Please evaluate these floors-floor2.jpg   Please evaluate these floors-floor3.jpg   Please evaluate these floors-floor4.jpg   Please evaluate these floors-specialwalnut.jpg  

Rosalini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

Is it just the light and picture quality or is the floor as hazy as it appears? Your finish will tint the color of the wood but it should not add opacity. And what is all around the wall edges where the baseboard was? It looks like mold.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #3

The pictures are true to life.

The marks around the wall edges are floor stain.

Do you notice blotches or swirls of stained color that are inconsistent with the natural variations of the wood? Application marks or overlap that moves perpendicular to the orientation of the wood? I cannot see individual planks of wood or much of the grain.

I'm sorry if the pictures are difficult to see.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,238

I would not accept that job.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #5

It bears noting that the person hired to do this job inadvertently used a product not intended for use on floors. We were told by the manufacturer of the stain that, due to the rapid drying time of the stain, using it on floors would result in overlap marks and random coloration/saturation. I wanted to see if that was noticeable in the photos.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalini32 View Post
We were told by the manufacturer of the stain that, due to the rapid drying time of the stain, using it on floors would result in overlap marks and random coloration/saturation.

Then why was it used on a floor?

To me the pics look like the floor has a huge build up of wax. Not sure what they used to cover it but you can try using a buffer head on a drill (like you would your car) and see if that helps...if it does, rent a buffing machine.

Regardless of the results I hope you post any results you get...I'm curious now
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Then why was it used on a floor?

To me the pics look like the floor has a huge build up of wax. Not sure what they used to cover it but you can try using a buffer head on a drill (like you would your car) and see if that helps...if it does, rent a buffing machine.

Regardless of the results I hope you post any results you get...I'm curious now
The person we hired to do the job failed to read the product label prior to use. My family was out of the house for the duration of the staining, but when I returned home and saw how blotchy the floors were, I read the instructions on the product and saw it was not intended for use on floors.

I've been told my concerns over how the floors look are merely due to buyer's remorse and that the floors look just as they should. I wanted to hear the opinions of those who have more experience than I do.

This is the first major cosmetic improvement we've done to our 1964 home. I admit, I cried when I saw how the floors turned out.

We are having the floors redone this week, by a different party. I'll be happy to update with new photos.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalini32 View Post
I admit, I cried when I saw how the floors turned out.
I can certainly understand your feelings but why aren't the contractors responsible for this ?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #9

We broke the Golden Rule and hired someone we know personally - no license, no contract.

I accept full responsibility for that. I'm not asking for reparations, or compensation, just mere acknowledgment that the floors came out badly.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Handyman

Ahh,ok.. would they be willing to tell you exactly what they did then? Much better advice if they did.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cry away. Sorry for the mess. Hopefully your new Pro will put it right. PLEASE, as others said, post pics of the results and we can all rave about how nice it looks once it's fixed.

When I bought my new/old (1805) house I figured out how to nicely say 'no' to friends who 'could do a little work for me on the side' or 'just need a job to get by this month'. I worked with one 'contractor friend' - permits, license, and contacts.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #12

The process was pretty basic - the floors were sanded and cleaned, 2 coats of water-based stain (intended for furniture) were applied, followed by 4 coats of water-based poly.

For some reason, the poly ended up clouding, a little bit worse each day (it's only been about a week.) There appears to be a milky/cataract film over the floors, not sure why that happened.

My primary objection is to the inconsistent manner in which the stain "took" to the floor. It looks (to me) like burl wood on some sort of massive scale.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #13

Thanks, Leah - the crying helped, a lot actually

I will definitely follow up!