Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plank subfloor and 3/4 inch prefinished hardwood...

I have a 3/4 inch tongue and groove something wood subfloor, 5" wide. House was built in the mid 1950s... I ripped up 1/4 inch width, 1" top-wide garbage wood from the subfloor. That was my 'floor'...I am at the subfloor planks, and there are creaks by the door where heavy traffic was. I know to solve that problem from the top with 2 1/2" deck screws.

I have 3/4" Bruce http://www.bruce.com/resflram/na/bru...&lineId=2170.0

The subfloor is level, but it has cracks, and looks like it has evolved, i.e. the tongue and groove are no longer connected, and there are cracks in the wood. Can I use wood putty to fill the cracks? What do I do with the separation to which I can see the basement through the subfloor?

I have to be able to handle this before I install the Bruce with my new pneumatic nailer, which I don't know how to use yet because this is a first time thing...

Thanks much!!

wackjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Still Learning

Without actually being there to see the situation I would suggest perhaps another subfloor on top of the older T&G. Something that could shore up the existing by screwing a minimum layer of 3/8" ply. By filling the cracks, the fill will probably fall out over time by expansion and contraction that inevitably occurs. It could also create a crunchy noisy effect under the new hardwood over time.

But then, maybe the 3/8" ply isn't needed. How's the basement? Dry?

HardwoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #3

The 3/4" hardwood is going on the first floor (the only floor --- it's a Rancher). The basement is dry (a floor below). A french drain exists down there, so it has been dry for years. Why do you ask about the basement? I only ask because I don't know...

I'm not sure if I should put down plywood or not. Even 3/8" would raise the floor more. The subfloor is in pretty good shape, although after 50 years, it has expanded and contracted no doubt!

I have cracks in the T&G, and was thinking about doing the wood putty thing. 2 1/2" deck screws should handle the creaking in spots.

What do you think? And thanks for the response!

BTW, Can you send digital pictures on here?
wackjaw is offline   Reply With Quote