Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |

Placing vinyl tile over linoleum

I have linoleum tile in my kitchen. It's the original ugly green stuff from when the house was built 25 years ago. I want to change to something else. I would like wood, but that would be about $1,500. If I use stick on vinyl, it would only be about $300. Can I put the stick on vinyl tiles over the existing tile? I really don't want to have to scrape it all up. Thanks.

phil74501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Tileguy

You've confused me.

Is it tile, linoleum, sheet vinyl or what?

If it's in sheets, they are probably 6' or 12' wide and have some kind of pattern. So, the answer is no, you will not be able to get good results applying self stick tile of that kind of flooring. In addition, it is very likely your old sheet vinyl (?) has a thin foam layer and so the answer would always be no even if there was no pattern.

Of course when people chose self stick tiles, they do so to cover a floor cheap. So if you don't expect long lasting results, vinyl tiles may be a good short term solution. But don't be surprised if the old pattern show thru and the new floor dents badly.

Alternatively you should remove the old floor along with any 1/4" underlayment that it's stuck to and then prep the floor with an appropriate new underlayment and then new flooring. You should not just scrape the old vinyl off because if it's real old the backing may contain asbestos, plus it's just easier the other way.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #3

I'm not sure, it may be vinyl. It doesn't seem to be in sheets. More like one big piece cut out to fit the shape of the room. I could be wrong on that. I got down on my knees and looked, I couldn't find any seams. I also checked underneath it by pulling up a spot under the dishwasher. There wasn't anything under it but concrete.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil74501 View Post
I'm not sure, it may be vinyl. It doesn't seem to be in sheets. More like one big piece cut out to fit the shape of the room. I could be wrong on that. I got down on my knees and looked, I couldn't find any seams. I also checked underneath it by pulling up a spot under the dishwasher. There wasn't anything under it but concrete.
Sheet vinyl would be "one big piece cut out to fit the shape of the room."
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #5

OK. I'm not too familiar with flooring stuff. That's why I'm asking about it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Peel and stick over vinyl would be a temporary solution. If you scrape up the old flooring be aware that the vinyl and/or adhesive "could" contain asbestos.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote