Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

PL Premium on wood floor

My son installed prefinished "Satin Finish" oak floors for us. He used PL Premium to glue down parts of the floor. Some of the glue must have got tracked across the floor and I am wondering if any one can suggest how I can take it off. I have already tried mineral spirits. I feel sick about it Any suggestions?

feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #2

PL Premium on wood floor

You could try something a little hotter. Did you rub it hard and have a rag saturated enough. I would try everything out on some left over scraps to make sure you won't hurt the finish.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #3

PL Premium on wood floor

Thanks Josh...what do you mean by "something hotter"?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
motivator

PL Premium on wood floor

I think he means a little stronger solvent.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

PL Premium on wood floor

Call the company that makes PL Premium and ask them what to use. They should know what might dissolve their product (might also take off your floor finish). From their site:
Q. How do I remove dried adhesive or sealant?
A. It is best to clean up excessive adhesive or sealant while it is in the uncured state however, thin films of cured adhesive can be removed using solvent or mineral spirits. Heavier films must be physically removed with a putty knife.
http://www.stickwithpl.com/Faq.aspx

Need more immediate assistance? Contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
(EST) at:

Customer Service: [IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/cb_transparent_l.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/famfamfam/us.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/arrow.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG]1-800-999-8920[IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/cb_transparent_r.gif[/IMG]
Technical Service: [IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/cb_transparent_l.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/famfamfam/us.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/arrow.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG]1-800-624-7767[IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/cb_transparent_r.gif[/IMG]
Switch Board: [IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/cb_transparent_l.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/famfamfam/us.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/arrow.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/space.gif[/IMG]1-800-321-3578[IMG]chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/cb_transparent_r.gif[/IMG]
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #6

PL Premium on wood floor

Yes, a hotter solvent like naptha. This might take the finish off the floor though so I would experiment first, and do what was mentioned before, call the company. Might not hurt to call the flooring company as well. I'm sure they have had to deal with this as well and should have some good ideas.

It must have been on so long that it has dried and/or cured.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #7

PL Premium on wood floor

Thanks guys for the tips.
I will contact the company.
I have just tried "Goo Gone" with no success.
Anyone know of anything stronger that might work? I am testing on leftover pieces of wood.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #8

PL Premium on wood floor

I would use a putty knife, or knife & gingerly scrape off the larger pieces. Then take some fine steel wool with paint thinner & work at removing the rest. Glue definately cleans up easier when its wet than dry. Patience is going to be a must.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #9

PL Premium on wood floor

The data sheet for PL Premium says to use mineral spirits while moist, and abrasion when dry
Quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #10

PL Premium on wood floor

Use mineral spirits, and a magic eraser . you can get them at the grocery store for a couple of bucks .
Gently rub it . going to take a few try's . Just be patient . you don't want to dull the finish.

Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote