PL Premium On Hardwood Flooring - How To Remove? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

PL premium on hardwood flooring - how to remove?

We just installed a new fireside ash hardwood flooring and have PL premium on it. I've been able to remove the "glue" but still have a residue that I've not been able to remove. HELP!!!!

Advertisement

annette.arial@bell.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette.arial@bell.ca View Post
We just installed a new fireside ash hardwood flooring and have PL premium on it. I've been able to remove the "glue" but still have a residue that I've not been able to remove. HELP!!!!
I thought I'd share my findings with you. Once we removed the glue and all that was left was the residue (or film), we used painter's tape and taped one entire board and used clear verathane and voila the film dissapeared. But you need to clear coat the entire board because if you just do the spot you will see it where as if you do the entire board, it does NOT show at all.

What a relief!!!

Advertisement

annette.arial@bell.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #3

Angry

I just finished laying down a new hardwood floor in my living room. We used LePage PL Premium for the last few rows of hardwood as we could not fit the floor gun that close to the wall. Using the PL was a little messy and we tracked PL in many places. Once the floor was finished we tried to get the glue up using paint thinner and guess what? IT WON'T COME OFF! I read the instructions on the tube of PL and while it does warn the user to remove any excess while wet it does not say that it will ruin the finnish of hardwood flooring.

So my question is...Has anyone had any luck removing PL from hardwood? LePage website says that it is virtually impossible without sanding the surface.

PLEASE HELP.
Rougebowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #4

I just installed 900 sq feet of natural birch hardwood floor. The wood is UV treated and has bevelled edges. While using pl premium to secure the stairs, glue got on my shoes and was tracked through the house. Just like you, i got off the glue, but now have a cloudy film left behind. I have tried everything to remove it, and even verethane wont get rid of it. That means... the whole floor has to be sanded The hardwood floor layers i've spoken to despise the product because of this. Wish i would have known before hand...

Last edited by amcfarl1; 04-01-2010 at 01:18 AM.
amcfarl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

I had the leftover haze on some hardwood and after everything else wouldn't work, I tried a Mr Clean eraser pad and it works. It took everything off and it looks great!! Give it a try before sanding.
Brad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

I'm a general contractor of ten years. I have seen many horror shows when it comes to this problem (some my fault, some not). These simple steps will get your floor clean.

Tools/materials needed:

A few clean rags
Scotch-Brite abrasive pad
Razor blade scraping tool
Goof-Off
Methyl Hydrate
Rejuvenate hardwood refresher

1) Give your head a shake for using PL in the first place

2) Promise to NEVER use it again

3) Dampen the Scotch-Brite pad with Goof-Off and scrub the floor in the direction of the grain

4) Using the razor, carefully scrape off any built-up PL residue

5) Repeat Step 3

6) Soak a clean rag with Methyl Hydrate and wipe up the Goof-Off, then make a second pass with more Methyl Hydrate. Repeat if needed.

7) Use Rejuvenate hardwood *refresher* as directed. Do not use the Rejuvenate hardwood polish, it must be the hardwood refresher.

Make sure that the room is well ventilated. Mixing Methyl Hydrate and Goof-Off can be hazardous to your health and can also combust, so wear a mask and soak your rags in water before you throw them out.

8) Have a drink and relax while you think about the moment that you actually considered tearing up the entire floor.

Advertisement

schurman is offline   Reply With Quote