Pitched Floor Leveling Issues. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Pitched floor leveling issues.

Here's the issue:

Third floor of my house used to be the roof, a flat roof. House was built in 1885 and a third floor was added around 1920. Apparently they didn't care about the 8" difference over twenty feet.

Normally I would pull the sub-floor and sister joists to get my level floor. However, I am taking back the drywall on the second floor to the joists and using the old sub flooring as a ceiling. A new thread can be started on the aesthetics . This will achieve a twelve foot ceiling on the second, but takes away my option for leveling the floor on the third. This is all to say, if I sister new lumber, I will see it. As it is now, it is all 130 year old wood and looks nice.

As I said, it is quite a pitch, but the house is relatively small: 18' wide by 25' long. The third also has a pitched roof, so the "floorable" space is only 12' wide. Any creative recommendations/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Again, there are no structural problems...the floor was meant to slope as it was built as a flat roof building. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

uberdoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring , floors , level , sister , sloping