Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #1

Share |

pine flooring installation

Has anyone installed pine flooring? the sizes available are 1x6x8 10 and 12. It's tung and groove... just curious if I should use a regular hardwood nailer or if a 2 1/2 inch nail gun will do the trick... I'm also curious if it will work out alright, I know I'll have to sand it and stain it... anythoughts would help
rdmccaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmccaw View Post
Has anyone installed pine flooring? the sizes available are 1x6x8 10 and 12. It's tung and groove... just curious if I should use a regular hardwood nailer or if a 2 1/2 inch nail gun will do the trick... I'm also curious if it will work out alright, I know I'll have to sand it and stain it... anythoughts would help
yes you can use a hardwood nail er, are you going to face nail or use decorative floor nails, or screw and plug. how are you going to keep the floor from cupping. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #3

definetly need to do something to prevent cupping, also, Pine is a very soft wood. The pine I had installed is very easy to dent, scratch etc. keep that in mind. I would pay more for heart pine or install different wood if I had to do again.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #4

I'm sorry, forgive my inexperience but what is cupping? and the reason I am putting down pine is that the rest of the 120 year old house is pine... I think the dents and scratches adds character and will make the house appear more original then fancy, and shinny new hardwood...
Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #5

Just want to add to the previous post, I now know what cupping is... will a vapour barrier help? also, how do you face nail (is it as easy as it sounds)? all the rest of the house is done this way, what tool would I use and how long should the nails be?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #6

anything over say 5" and you need to glue (bostiks best) or face nail or screw down to prevent cupping. I too like the rustic look in floors and decided to face nail mine w/ cut nails. I drilled pilot holes first and used a scrap piece of wood w/ hole over nail to prevent peckering up floor (and nail set rest of way) Let me tell you, driving all those cut nails was one of the hardest things I have ever done.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

can you use hardwood nails and a gun? I have over 1200 sq ft to do and can't bare the thought of driving 2000+ nailes...
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #8

someone with more knowledge should chime in but, you can't use the hardwood nails in a nail gun, only smaller guage but I don't know how well those would hold. fyi, I did about 400 sq ft by hand and it took about 20 hours split up over 5 days. I was hitting those damn nails with everything I had just to sink em'.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #9

What other types of nails would I use to face nail it, cut nails I think are very expensive... can't use framing nails, that would look awful... When screw and plug is mention, do you actually buy plugs for it or just fill the hole with wood filler?

Thanks again for all the help
Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #10

I did a job where we used a Forster bit and screwed and glued and plugged with mahogany plugs. 1156sf. it was well worth the labor to look back and see the customers expression when they saw the floor finished for the first time. the only time I use a vapor barrier is when I install 3/4" plywood over a cement slab. I use to use felt paper when I installed T&G flooring until I noticed a black tar like substance seeping up through the seams of the floor in the area of the dogs water bowl. I went back to the rosin paper.
go to your locale tool rental stores and rent your self a floor nailer and a compressor to install the floor they will sell you the nails to use 2-1/4" nails are standard. As for the facing nails there is a company that makes hand forged nails that are beautiful. but pricey. or like the above poster said steel cuts are also a good alternative. GOOD LUCK BOB

Last edited by buletbob; 08-14-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmccaw View Post
What other types of nails would I use to face nail it, cut nails I think are very expensive... can't use framing nails, that would look awful... When screw and plug is mention, do you actually buy plugs for it or just fill the hole with wood filler?

Thanks again for all the help
you can buy the plugs from a good floring company
Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #12

OK, I've decided I am going to screw it and plug the pine... now, should I put a vapor barrier between the subfloor and the pine? Its on the main floor of a 120 year old house, there is a full unfinished, dirt floor basement beneath it that is quite moist, just had to get a dehumidifier to control the dampness in the basement, so I'm confident that the moisture will move upwards into the pine flooring... I've already installed a floor and had to rip it up because I didn't do it right the first time... so I want to make sure I don't have any problems going forward
Old 08-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #13

good decision. I would put down vapor barrier, why chance it?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #14

OK, so what type of barrier should I use? plastic????
Old 08-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #15

again, I am no expert, someone else will chime in but I've heard of rosin paper being used, and my installer used felt paper, like you put on a roof.