Pine Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Pine flooring

I am in the planning stages of laying wood floors in my upstairs (around 1000sf). Most of the products I am considering are in the $4 to $6 range. I couldn't help but notice the low price on the tongue and groove pine. I understand that pine is much softer than oak, bamboo, etc. Does anyone have experience with a pine floor? Will I need to replace it in five years? I wouldn't mind a few dings and scratches, but don't want it to look like crap. Thanks!

Advertisement

joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

Pine flooring

There are many species of pine, some quite soft, some relatively hard. It is difficult to get newly cut hard pine lumber, since hard pine (often called yellow pine) almost always comes from slow growth, mature trees of particular species, and there is almost none of it left anymore. It is possible to get reclaimed hard pine floors from old buildings, and there is some hard pine salvage lumber from shipwrecks and sunken logs. But you did not mention the type of pine you are considering, and where it comes from.

If you are getting recently cut, relatively soft pine, it will get beat up pretty badly in a flooring application, and will not last too long. If you can get your hands on recycled, old growth, hard pine, it can be stunning, and can last hundreds of years. I have seen some long leaf pine floors that are a hundred years old that are still in reasonably good shape. Of course you have to pay a lot for such pine, maybe more than oak flooring.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Pine flooring

I would only do this if you are going for a rustic look.

When we lived in Oklahoma we pulled up some rather gross shag carpeting and found pine floors underneath. We refinished them ourselves.

Within five years three large dogs really did a number on the floors and it was in desperate need of refinishing . But it was a rustic old farmhouse so rustic floors were okay with us.

I would also suggest going with a natural color stain. It will hide the dings better.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

Pine flooring

Heart pine or antique pine would be the only thing hard enough for a flor in my opinion. Mostly purchased at a premium price as reclaimed lumber expect to pay $10-15 a bdft for this stuff.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 720

Pine flooring

My sister told me she will be installing Red Pine flooring. She claims it is harder than yellow pine. Maybe she read it on the net, don't know.

Found this site:

http://gladwin-michigan.olx.com/red-...ng-iid-8521017

Another:
http://www.pineflooring.ca/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,206

Pine flooring

Only ever had one pine floor. Never again. Even the wife's high-heeled shoes put dents in it. Travelled areas looked like crap in less than a year. If cost and durability are concerns, go with laminate.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Pine flooring

If you look at the link attached you will see soft yellow pine is just below walnut and cherry in hardness. People put these floors in all the time. You do not have to buy high priced reclaimed pine to get a good floor. It is soft but, you can not expect it not to dent or scratch. ALL floors will dent and scratch under normal use. Some easier than others. It is part of the patina of hardwood floors. It is the finish that protects it from scratches. Dogs will scratch any wood floor.... Get a good finish. Nothing can protect from a high heel on any floor. I would suggest getting a #2 pine floor with a clear finish. This will make it easier to make repairs when they do occur.

Advertisement

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote