Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Pine floor install

I'm getting ready to install 5" wide/ 3/4"/tounge and groove/kiln dried SYP in a beach house and have a few ?'s - we leave the heat at 40 degrees (when we are not there- 65 degrees when we are there) in the winter and leave the AC off in the sumer when we are not there( and maybe 70 degrees when we are there) - we're 5 blocks away from the water so our humidity level really isn't above normal for this area (MD)..my subfloor MC is 12%. When I acclimate the lumber to the house (for 10 days or so) should I turn the heat up to 60 degrees or so, or leave it down to 40 degrees ? Also, when installing, should I leave a small gap (1/2 of a dime or so) between the boards for summer expansion....and last but not least, what's the best paper (or tar paper) to put down on the subfloor and does it get overlapped? We are going for an antique look, so our plan was to install it now, but not to fininsh it (maybe w/ poly) until the summer...unless u think that's crazy...THANKS !!
ms21117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Get out of the box!

Pine floor install

12% is to high. You should not be above 10%

You need to dry it out in there and get the temp up to at least 65 for 48 hrs prior to install and 48 post install.
No need to the gap the boards with you high humidity levels.
If they dry out they will shrink, then you will have gaps you can loose more than a penny in!

15 mil tarpaer will work great.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote