Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #1

Share |

Pine floor ID help!

Hello

I am looking for some help in identifying what type of pine floor I have in my living room. We will be tearing up the vinyl floor in the kitchen and would like to match the floor. I've been told it's Southern Longleaf Pine but when I compare it to other photos it doesn't seem to match. There are very few knots in the wood and the grain runs long and straight, any help would be appreciated, I live in Massachusetts and the floor was probably put down in the 1920s. The boards are 3 1/4" wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Pine floor ID help!-image.jpg  
upslims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

Pine floor ID help!

Most Pine flooring will look either white, yellow, or rustic. It is not easy to distinguish one from the other, except rustic. Unless they are fresh cut. Here is a pic of heart pine that is as close as I can get to your floor. This floor is 1/4 and rift sawn. Sorry for the size of the pic. I don't know what happened.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by woodman58; 04-21-2013 at 08:08 AM.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #3

Pine floor ID help!

Hi thanks for the reply. That definitely looks like it, color an all. So is that just coated with poly?
upslims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Pine floor ID help!

Do a search for vertical grain heart pine flooring. You will find many floors to choose from. If you are going to install the new floor with the old I would put a header board where the two floors will meet. If you try to lace the old with the new it will be imposible to draw the new tight because of the gaps in the old floor. If you have the floor installed by a proffesional he will try to match the finish on the existing floor.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pine