Pictures After Installers Came To Fix Konecto - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Pictures after Installers came to fix Konecto

This is what we are still dealing with. I guess it is time to get a independent inspector. Rolling should no longer be an issue.

The pictures with the papers taped all over the floor are spots it is lifted. This is after the installers came to repair. Those papers are marked on the upstairs osb level. The downstairs are pictured in the last two photos. The downstairs is absolutely hopeless with the lifting it is EVERYWHERE!! I did not even bother to mark it. I would be there for hours.

This is all part of my ongoing konecto opinion, review, issues and problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures after Installers came to fix Konecto-dsc07594.jpg   Pictures after Installers came to fix Konecto-dsc07592.jpg   Pictures after Installers came to fix Konecto-dsc07593.jpg   Pictures after Installers came to fix Konecto-dsc07595.jpg   Pictures after Installers came to fix Konecto-dsc07599.jpg  

Pictures after Installers came to fix Konecto-dsc07601.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by jennydavis; 12-31-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: changed last picture
jennydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Somebody would be hearing from my attorney.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are usually hammering blocks supplied or available with most laminate flooring. My guess is they did not use them.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,038

Did they climatize the flooring? By that I mean did they bring the packages in and open them and let them adjust to your humidity for 2-4 weeks? I see that your in Alaska. Did they bring it in from the cold? Did they leave an end gap? Sure doesnt look like it. If your floor is a floating type then all is not lost. They must pull it up let it acclimate to your house then lay it again with a nice end gap. There is no other fixing that I know of except do it again. It has expanded. No amount of rolling will fix it. Best of luck, Dorf Dude...

Last edited by shumakerscott; 01-02-2009 at 01:20 PM.
shumakerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #5

We originally installed the floors ourselves (a mistake if you want credibility). Yes we did acclimate the floor and yada yada yada. The rep. thought we did not roll the floor as well as the retailer. So 3.5 months later they send in their own installers to fix what we apparently screwed up on. I say that with a tad bit of sarcasm because if you look at my many other posts we rolled rolled and rolled. So lo and behold the fixers were not able to fix because the fault lies in the adhesive to begin with. No amount of rolling will help because there is simply faulty glue. So they did use the "konecto repair glue on about 25 planks or so and those did stick but only where they put the glue. . . Not on the edges the glue did not spread to." So back to square one and not much cooperation anticipated. So that is why I am asking for an independent inspector and then after possibly a lawyer. We have been hopeful that parties involved would step up and do the right thing for someone who has done probably more than 90% of the people to install and keep this floor down. Especially to someone who has spent over $12,000 in a particular flooring store. We have over $11,000 alone into the Konecto. This stuff (our batch) is junk.

Last edited by jennydavis; 01-16-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Dorf dude...

This is my first seeing your dilema. I'm in Germany and we don't glue laminate floors to the sub floor. We let them free float with a minimum 1/2 inch gap all around. We glue the tougne and groove but not to the floor. This eliminates the bulging problems. Your floor is expanding and has no where to go but up. It can't go out, side to side or end to end because it is glued in spots. Quote " So they did use the "konecto repair glue on about 25 planks or so and those did stick but only where they put the glue. . . Not on the edges the glue did not spread to." I'm sorry that you have spent so much money but I don't think it is the flooring that is the problem. I have layed massive wood floors and laminate, different procedures for each. I have about 850 sq ft of laminate to lay in my house come this summer. It will be free floating. I will post for all to see how it turns out. I do wish you the best of all outcomes with out getting any scum bag laywers involved. Again all the best for your outcome, Dorf Dude...

Last edited by shumakerscott; 01-02-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #7

It is amazing on how available communication can be on the web. I have a friend from Germany. She came back about a month ago after visiting her mother. Her mother is quite elderly now.

I just thought I should add to the information that Konecto is not a true laminate. It is a type of floor that is in planks like laminate but is made out of vinyl and actually adheres to one another. It is a floating floor. All that is needed it supposedly a utility knife, some measuring, and lots of rolling rolling rolling. Of course that is after you acclimate it and store it upside down.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Dorf dude...

We don't have that system here. I have tried to help with what I know. Your floor is not "Floating" It is binding and that is why it is bulging for what ever reason. I have looked at the factories web page and they insist that you must mix at least 3 packages with different manufacture dates. This must be due to inconsisties in their manufacture. Again sorry for so much heart ache that your having. I think it must be pulled up and redone. No other way around it. Best of luck, Dorf Dude...

Last edited by shumakerscott; 01-02-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Another indi inspector would provide another opinion on the product and it's installation.
Sometimes it's the way it needs to go.
Whatever gets this to a resolution.

Looks like a great house. I hope for the best.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #10

Retailer called this afternoon and said they would look into getting an independent inspector. So far they are the only ones to contact us. No word from rep. or company.

1/5/2009
Old 01-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #11

We had a phone call last Monday (January 5) from our retailer saying they would "try" to find an independent inspector. Yesterday (11:53 am Saturday - January 10) we were gone all day and received a message stating to call them back. So we will call them Monday first thing.

In the meantime on Friday evening (January 9) we sent them all (Konecto rep. / Metrofloor / Retailer) a 2nd notice because we still had not heard anything about an inspector or anything at all. Maybe yesterday (Saturday) was in regards to that but not sure. This time we gave them a deadline. If we do not get the desired results by the 19th of January we will be hiring a lawyer.

This is an adhesive issue. We tried to ask for an exchange to begin with on the flooring we have for same exact product but different lot #'s. Then we asked for just the glue and they had installers come and attempt to fix the planks that we supposedly did not roll. That did not work (surprise surprise surpsrise)
We have been gracious and most patient. We have tried everything. The majority would not have let this go on to this point.

Last edited by jennydavis; 01-16-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
We also know of about 6 other people who have had problems after spreading the word with this particular retail store. We had good intentions of trying to support your local neighbor. But no more. We have had it.
You will not be guaranteed any better results by buying online or thru a long distance source. I understand about boycotting the store but not ALL local retailers.
Please continue to fill us in on what happens to your floor.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #13

Spoke with the Retailer this early Monday A.M. and they informed us they were able to locate a independent inspector. They are waiting on some info. from SeaPac to proceed.

The retailer informed us that NOW SeaPac is willing to exchange the flooring out for a new batch (LOT). Just what we wanted at the very very beginning.

We think..... it is probably best to wait for the inspector.

I am not knocking all local retailers but I know Home Depot. Lowes or Costco would have taken back or exchanged the product right from the GetGo without any questions. I have seen it done.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #14

They probably would have and I would agree that the retailer maybe should have done so as well. However I do not know the entire story from all sides.
I would wait for the inspector too because it would be nice to hear some fresh thoughts before you decide on what to do.
It seems like things are moving forward for you and that is nice to hear.
I hope to keep hearing good news from you in the future.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,266

I understand your frustration but I'd have to say that it sounds like your retailer is trying to do the right thing for you.

Put yourself in their shoes. They have no idea if you installed it right but they were willing to send someone out to fix it. Then, from those results, they were able to determine that you had installed according to directions and that glue failure was a problem. Now they agree to replace the flooring. Have you paid for any of this besides the initial floor? If not then you should be delighted with their continued efforts to back up their product but understandably dissappointed that they didn't know enough about it to prevent the problem.

Will they install the new flooring at no cost? If so, then I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. As far as the big box chains - yes, they probably would have replaced the flooring right away and then you would have installed it the same way with the same bad results and they would have shrugged their shoulders. Your store has hopefully figured out what went wrong in a methodical manner rather than just throw replacement material at it in hopes that it will magically go away.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote