Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #1

Share |

Pergo Paradigm

Does anyone know if the Pergo Paradigm line is decent quality? Thanks....

code4cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #2

Pergo Paradigm

It is of the middle end of the Pergo line. It will work fine.
If you want more durability, then go with Pergo Select.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #3

Pergo Paradigm

Thanks for the reply. The saleperson was trying to take me into a brand called Venta. She stated its just as good quality as Pergo just without the name. They were going to sell the Venta for $1.00 less per square foot. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florcraft
It is of the middle end of the Pergo line. It will work fine.
If you want more durability, then go with Pergo Select.
code4cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #4

Pergo Paradigm

Kinda like any product that is not a brand name and sells for less.

Either made inferior, or made somewhere else.
If that's your bag, then go for it.

But I see my Pergo REP every week. Good customer service.

Never seen a ventra REP.
Probably can't afford one.

In addition, the saleperson either gets a spiff from VENTRA or is a LOUSY salesperson.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #5

Pergo Paradigm

after putting in 135 pego floors in the last 2 years I will not touch this junk any more. if any of my customers want it I tell them to call someone else.
1. it looks like crap. it looks like something you would see in trailers.
2. all levels of pego. even there select line is junk.
3. spend the extra $ and get real wooden floors.
4. you can not refinish pergo.
5. it adds no value to your house. only real hardwood floors do.
6. it is not as durable as they claim. 42 call backs because of water damage causes the edges to seperate. (around entry doors and around the kitchen sink area.). it is a royal nightmare to cut in a pices.
7. real wood is alot easier to reapair.
8. if you dont like the color of the real wood you can sand it down and refinish it. Pergo your stuck with it unless you want to tear it out and redo it.
9. it cost more then carpeting.

now for the plus side.
1. you can put it in fast.
2. it is cheeper then hard wood.
3. it cleans up easy.

Last edited by earl hall; 09-19-2005 at 11:27 AM.
earl hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
Contractor

Pergo Paradigm

code4, I could write a treatise similar to earl's about wood. Both have their good points and bad. Buy the best that you can afford and it will give you many years of service.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #7

Pergo Paradigm

Quote:
I could write a treatise similar to earl's about wood
yup.

Quote:
it looks like crap
why? sounds like an opinion based on the look of real wood. you cannot compare it.
A honda looks like crap compared to a Lexus, but that is an opinion of mine, and not everybody needs a Lexus.
Quote:
all levels of pego. even there select line is junk.
That is just plain not true at all when comparing to other LAMS.

Quote:
spend the extra $ and get real wooden floors.
I cannot argue that wood is longer lasting and more valuable. But I will not present that info while dumping on lam's. It's just not professional.

Quote:
it adds no value to your house
Carpet to lam can add value. Period.
Will it add as much as wood....no.
If you go from carpet to wood and sell in 1 year, will you get your money back? maybe not.
Does wood add value to ALL homes? No.

Quote:
it is not as durable as they claim. 42 call backs because of water damage causes the edges to seperate. (around entry doors and around the kitchen sink area.).
And what does water do to wood?.....c'mon now.
Quote:
real wood is alot easier to reapair
And easier to dent and scratch...so it better be.

Quote:
if you dont like the color of the real wood you can sand it down and refinish it
Let's be honest...this is great, but not something to look forward to or to do often.

Quote:
now for the plus side.
1. you can put it in fast.
2. it is cheeper then hard wood.
3. it cleans up easy.
that's right. Although some wood is just as fast or faster, and should clean up easily as well. And it's MORE AFFORDABLE. not cheaper

My point in all this is that too much attention is being placed on the bad of lam and the good of wood. In my opinion, I would expect things to be a bit more evened out.
Theres good and bad to everything. Not everyone is a wood customer, and not everyone is a lam customer.
Not everyone is a Lexus driver and not everyone should be a Honda driver.
Now it is obvious that you get more with the Lexus, but let's not bash the Honda's.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Pergo Paradigm

Well put Florcraft. Atleast I didnt have to lay it down but I agree with you totally. I guess it is what ever floats your boat . I myself think lam is acceptable compared to wood. I have installed Bamboo and am not impressed with the durability of that product . But this is my opinion I would not want to refinish to keep a new scratch free look annually.
Builtrite Residential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Gina Send a message via Yahoo to Gina

Pergo Paradigm

I love my laminate floors! I've had them for a year and a half and have NO complaints.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:44 AM   #10
hmc

Pergo Paradigm

In my last house we had Wilsonart lam and it looked great. It was easy to clean up, and try as we might, it didn't scratch (even with a husband and a son). We now have real wood. It is beautiful to say the least. I can see some spots of wear and tear, we will need to refinish eventually, probably sooner rather than later. And yes, husband and son (even myself, OK more me than them) have left our marks. I do like that I can change the color, though it will be a messy job, it is an option. I do like that they will last forever and a day. in the near feature. Everyone comments on these floors. But everyone commented on the others as well. The Wilsonart floor was very nice, and most people asked if they were lam or real, which to me is a compliment. IMHO the wood is better...nothing beats it for looks. But the lam, at least the Wilsonart stuff, is a nice substitute...and great for not marking up.
hmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #11

Pergo Paradigm

I have always shied away from Pergo.
I know some people like it. It can't be refinished. I don't know how you'd remove one plank to make a repair like you can on wood. You can't restain it. Some of those floating floors are obvious about floating and don't give you the feel you want.
Wood nor bamboo neither are perfect, but they do cater to most peoples expectations, and I can fix what ever ails them.
Every floor with the possible exceptions of concrete will suffer some aeshetic damages over its lifetime. I believe Pergo's guarantee only promises to give you a new piece in replacement. Then the question becomes, what do you do next?
kesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #12

Pergo Paradigm

Laminate is a great product, when it comes to durability, it does outperform wood. My only problem with this product is its lack of depth. Since laminate is only a picture of wood and not the real thing, it doesn't really have the same look as hardwood floors. I found a great alternative that is priced cheaper than hardwood, is more durable, can be refinished and offers the same look. It's called engineered wood floors. This a great link to learn more about this:

www.ifloor.com/articles/wood/woodvswood.html

hope that helps!
alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #13

Pergo Paradigm

In our last house we had laminated wood floors. They worked well for us. The floor was 9 years old when we sold the house and there was minimal wear showing on the floor (not bad for having a dog):
- indentations in the floor where the refrigerator wheels sat (only noticable if you moved the refrigerator
- indentations where the refrigerator wheels sat in front of the fridge location when in sat pulled out for several hours.
- (3) locations where chips taken out of the floor where a can or something heavy was dropped

Even at the locations of the dog's water bowl, the kitchen sink, or the door, left no damage but I didn't let the water sit on the floor long either if I knew about it.

That being said, I would love to have hardwood floors but a dog makes that not possible in my opinion.

username is offline   Reply With Quote