Pergo Floor Installation Tips. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Pergo floor installation tips.

I have read all the literature and even watched a couple of videos. What I am looking for here is and advice, suggestions or tips from someone who has installed this in a kitchen.

Specifically, I am looking for suggestions on just how best to plan this installation around all the obstructions that naturally occur in a kitchen such as cabinets, refrigerator, dishwasher stove. For instance, should I start a a run against the wall beyond where my refrigerator cabinet ends with a full width. Or, should I try plan the width of the first planks according to how it will end up along my base cabinets. I'll post some pics to help you all follow my train of thought.

The company doesn't specifically say not to install it under refrigerators but it seems that the weight of a fridge could hinder the floatability of the planks.

Yes, I am installing Pergo over oak. I could not talk my wife out of it. Also it is ironically cheaper than than having the oak refinished especially considering the repair work that would be needed. This appealed to me because it could be floated over the oak in the event that we or a future homeowner want to restore the oak floor.

I am currently planning to run this perpendicular to the oak planks. Some recommend this and others say it makes no difference. I am also open to suggestion on the orientation of the new floor.

These are my particular concerns. Any advice is appreciated. The Pergo is currently acclimating to the room climate while prep and level the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Pergo floor installation tips.-p1000244.jpg   Pergo floor installation tips.-p1000249.jpg   Pergo floor installation tips.-p1000250.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Jim F; 04-18-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #2

No one out there has done Pergo in a kitchen really? I get that the floor installers shun laminate floating floors as a DIY phenomenon by how about you DIYers out there? Am I really on my own on this one?

Advertisement

Last edited by Jim F; 04-19-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

we usually started on the longest wall, or the more visible wall. if you start opposite the longest wall and things arent square or you arent parrallel with the more visible wall it will show more if its off. if it varies 1/2 inch behind the fridge no one is gonna see it. It will be fine under the fridge. just remember to leave the proper expansion space around the perimeter that the manufacturer recommends. my kitchen looks like im about the same place in renovating as yours does.

Last edited by DannyT; 04-19-2011 at 03:35 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
Jim F (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

Start on the longest wall. That's good advice. My longest wall would have the laminate going in the same direction as the oak that's on there now. Does it make a difference? It doesn't seem to me that it should but at least one person told me I should change directions.

One more question. Which direction would look better based on the pictures provided I can go either way? There a more pics on my project thread. On to the kitchen

Any help at all is appreciated. I didn't get a lot of input on my new entry door and now I have some buyer's remorse. Specifically, I wish I had put the sidelight on the other side and hinged the door on the stile.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

if the oak floor is good and flat it wouldnt matter which you run the laminate. if the oak has some ups and downs in it the laminate would span over these better if you run it at a right angle to the oak. i guess the other option is to run it at a 45 degree angle to the oak. that would involve a lot of angle cuts and you end up wasting more also but then it doesnt matter if the room is perfectly square. it doesnt show when you run the flooring on an angle. i would lay a few pieces out going one way and then the other and see which direction looks best to you.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote