Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Peel and Stick Vinyl tiles

OK, so everything I've read states not to use the peel and stick vinyl tiles on particle board. Not wanting to replace the subfloor, are there any tips for laying these tiles over particle board?
I'm working with Trafficmaster ceramica vinyl tiles, installing in a small bathroom.
ANY TIPS OUT THERE?

nunie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,240

I don't think there are any tips. It just won't work for very long.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,090

I agree with our friend Rusty.

Quote:
Not wanting to replace the subfloor
Vinyl tiles are not installed direct on "the" subfloor, are you sure it's not 1/4" underlayment instead? If it is 1/4", it should be removed. Just to be clear on what you've got there, please confirm that what you're seeing is 3/4" sheets on the joists and that it's not OSB instead of particle board.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

There are two issues with particle board: One is that the particles aren't glued that well to each other. Put a stick tile on it, and after a while you get a sticky tile with crumbs of particle board.

The second issue is taht with wood in general the wood soaks the glue off the tile, and the tile becomes new toy for the dog.

The second one can be cured with a good primer. The trafficmaster directions say taht this is how you can use it with plywood. I suspect it would also work with good quality OSB subfloor too, but haven't tried it.

I thought of using a oil base paint (to not dissolve the glue in the particle board). But particle board just drinks up paint -- Instead of 400 square feet per gallon, you get about 100, and the house will smell of paint for weeks after.

You MIGHT be able to get away using a self leveling compound. Better would be WEST epoxy system. The idea here is that you get the surface to stick to itself better, and not slurp up the glue. Both of these make changing your mind later difficult. I was in a similar situation a while ago. I found no good news that I wanted to bet a floor on. I chose to use laminate.

On the ohter hand: Traffic Master is cheap. It may only work for 3-4 years, but at a buck a square foot, that may be enough.
sgbotsford is offline   Reply With Quote