Peel And Stick Vinyl Flooring Over Absteos Tile? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Peel and stick vinyl flooring over absteos tile?

Hi everyone and sorry if this is a topic that has been posted before.

So here is my dilemma. I own a 40 year old home with a relativley dry finished basement. Let me give you some backgorund to what my problem is. Originally at 1 point in the homes life one corner of the foundation sunk. This in turn had left a good size crack in my basement floor and a area of about 3x4 that was a inch lower then the rest of the floor. The reapir was done to the foundation and some of the old absestos tile floor was removed in that area. I did have a handyman come in about 5 years ago and fix the crack and relevel the floor in the area. But at the same time I told him dont worry about the tile and just go over some of it with the concrete to level it out. As my intention was to carpet the entire room.

Well after 5 years of carpeting my 40 year old hot water furnace decided it was time to retire.He decided to go out with a bang while we were on vacation and flooded my basement.Needless to say it ruined the carpet and with poor ventilation down there, i decided to pull it up because of odors and possible health issues later on. So once the carpet was up i had black mold around the edges of the floor and all over the carpet strips. This is obviously due to small amounts of water coming in over the 5 years of the carpeting being down and poor ventilation.

So now here is where i am at. For fear of health issues with possible mold, i do not want to put another carpet in my basement and the original tile floor with a good area having been coverd in cement. What do i do. This is still a very uneven floor with a nice size bow from the center of the house to the walls. Now all the tile is still in place with no cracks and a smooth finish. Can i Just go over it with the self adhesive tile flooring?

I was considering the 18" faux wood floor finish. I noticed they had a lot of bend when it comes to laying them down. Will they hold up over time without coming up? What happens if it gets wet?
Opinons and suggestions?

Advertisement

Codchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

If the old tiles are well bonded (no loose ones) you should be able to install the new ones on top successfully.

Strip of any old wax with a soap y water/amonia mix and a scrub brush .

I suggest applying a latex sealer to ensure a good bond. A little goes a long way with the sealer.
Use a short nap roller.

The rough patch area may need a bit of scraping and might even need a thin coat of Feather Finish
to get it smooth enough to tile.

That's it--You should be good for most little basement problems.

Only ceramic is safe for another flood---that is a lot of work--the old tile must be removed---

I'd take a chance on the big peal and stick.----Mike----

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

any installation video for vinyl kitchen floor?
arvindpadhiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,320

Sheet vinyl? Here's an old one for Flexitec. http://vinylflooring.org/movie.html
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote