DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Peel and Stick Tile Over Existing Bathroom Ceramic Tile Floor

18K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rusty baker 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a home that my wife is not happy with and we're going to sell : (

The bathrooms in the home are all original (built in 1970). I recently redid the powder room with new vanity, mirror, lighting, toilet, sink, etc. Everything except for the original white ceramic tile floor, which in the powder room, still looks good.

However, the master bathroom (which is very small) has pink ceramic tile, and the center-hall bathroom has blue tile.

Our realtor is advising that some of his past clients have put Armstrong peel and stick tiles (they're about $30 per case he said) over top of the existing ceramic tile floors. The existing floors are the smaller square tiles, not the 4"x4". They do have grooves, so I was thinking I'd at least need to use leveler of some sort to fill the slight grooves.

I am well aware that, contrary to what the realtor is advising, that these original floors should be ripped out, but I'm selling the house as quickly as possible and I have never removed ceramic tile floors like this.

So my questions are:

1. How hard is it to remove these floors? The bathrooms are relatively small. One is tiny, the other is medium-sized.

2. What would be underneath them? This house was built in 1970.

3. Can I just do like the realtor said and clean the floor real good and slap the peel and sticks over top of the existing tile floors? Will they stick? Is leveler needed?

See less See more
#2 ·
Pretty much your realtor is an idiot. Removing ceramic floors is difficult, and then the flooring must be replaced. Self stick tiles are an atrocious product, and are not meant to stick to a glassy surface. Your best bet is to do nothing, or to drop the price. But partaking in an abortion of a flooring job is not the way to make a quick sale

#3 ·
According to most of the realtors that I deal with, you are better off to offer a small reduction in price than to do some horrible coverup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.