DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

particle board / hardibacker

11K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Neil_K 
#1 ·
I have seen numerous posts concerning the required removal of particle board underlayment prior to using hardibacker. In the process of removing old carpeting, I have sections of the house which has 3/4 inch plywood while other sections have a combination of 1/2-inch plywood covered by 1/4-inch particle board. Floor has 2X10 floor joists on 12 inch centers, double joists every 3 feet. Is it possible to overlay the 1/4-inch particle board with a 1/4-inch exterior grade plywood and then install the thin-set with the hardibacker? Rather not remove 1/4-inch particle board if possible since it may be glued down to the 1/2-inch plywood.

In advance, thanks for any information that you have.

#2 ·
Particle board isn't an acceptable underlayment for tile period, per TCA specs. In fact IMHO it isn't acceptable for anything other than making speaker boxes maybe. If it gets wet at all it will swell and cause you problems, and it's going to get wet when you put thinset on it to set the hardibacker.

#5 ·
I've never seen particleboard that thin before, Then again I've never looked for it, either.

If you're sure its 1/4", maybe find an inconspicuous area (one that will wind up under a couch or bed or something in case it doesn't work), drop your circular sawblade to 1/4" and cut a square. See if it comes up. That should at least tell you if it will come up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.