Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting over vinyl adhesive?

in a hurried attempt to get ugly, dirty carpet out of a room in my new house i did something pretty stupid. underneath the carpet was very old vinyl tiling. Did i have it checked for asbestos? nope. didn't even think about it. so we proceeded to scrape them up with the help of a hair dryer to soften the adhesive. after cleaning the room and a failed attempt at sanding the doug fir subfloor underneath we figured, let's just paint it. which would be fine except there was still some of the adhesive on the floor. now i'm getting concerned, after doing some research, that i actually need to get all of that glue out of there, professionally...OR...can i just put a second coat of paint over it and hope that the paint and adhesive all dry and the paint "seals" it up. help? suggestions? thanks ahead.

hawkhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Painting over vinyl adhesive?

Put some fans on it to dry it faster, eventually it will dry and you will not have any issues. I am assuming that you are going to put some type of flooring over it, so as long as it is smooth you will be fine. The asbestos is only air borne when you sand the tile or pieces of the VAT (tile). In most cases, The adhesive doesn't have it so don't worry too much about it. Besides can't go back in time.

IceT is offline   Reply With Quote