Painting Over Old Tar Paper Residue - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 10-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 174

Painting over old tar paper residue

My local flooring guy told me to go ahead and prime over the residue from an asbestos/tar paper abatement. I have been using zinsser bulls eye zero VOC primer. It seems like it is reacting with the assumed tar paper residue. I've done 2 coats. Do I need to do something else or can I stop at this point?
Attached Thumbnails
Painting over old tar paper residue-1476208494093.jpg  

Advertisement

jwiens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 998

Re: Painting over old tar paper residue

What's the end goal here?

Advertisement

stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

I'm going to just be putting down a floating floor over it. It is my top layer of two subfloors.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 998

So what's the purpose of the primer, then?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #5

To encapsulate the smell of the tar paper for me. Not sure if the flooring guy had an alternative reason.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 14,306

That new flooring needs a flat surface to lay on.
I'd be adding screws to those old boards, installing a layer of tar paper then underlayment rated 3/8 plywood before laying the new flooring.
If not the seams in your new flooring are going to move when walked on, make noise and wear the T & G causing it to come unlocked.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

I guess I'm getting conflicting info. My house has a diagonal subfloor that is 3/4" thick. Then it has this tongue and grove on top that is also 3/4" thick. The flooring I am putting down is 8mm thick with a cork under payment attached. The local flooring guy told me I wouldn't need to put anything else down. Is that wrong.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 422

Hi jwiens,

Another example of why it's best to keep all questions on a single thread instead of as in this case there seems to be 6-7 threads on this project. Gets confusing and eventually the threads spread out and relevant info is gone.

I wouldn't install anything on that floor as is. If it's in solid condition, the ⅜" underlayment grade ply will be good enough for this situation.

Alternatively you can remove those boards and replace with " ply or OSB. Your subfloor is the diagonal planks under these boards. These boards are doing you no good at all. I have no idea if these boards are also under the tub, in which case go to plan "A".

Jaz
joecaption likes this.

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - MARMO.SICILIA@yahoo.com
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

You are right Jazz Man. I'm sorry I started a new thread, but it is a new room and I assumed that since I was asking a different question about priming the floor that it should have a new thread. The other floor was my kitchen which is much bigger. I assumed my local guy thought this room was small enough and therefore didn't need to be covered. Apparently that is wrong. I will go ahead and get some plywood for it. The hard thing is that I don't want to cut down the top subfloor as I am not comfortable doing that in this old of a house. Every time I do any project it seems to uncover 10 ten more things that need to be done. I also don't want to add a thick piece of wood on top and then add the 8mm floor. My dad has Parkinsons and walking is super hard. He shuffles a ton and I am concerned about a huge step up into the bathroom in the middle of the night for him. What is the thinnest piece of wood I can add and still be ok with the 8mm floor?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 422

Since it's a laminate, I suppose " ply (not luan) will be ok. In my last post I was gonna say ⅜" or better yet ", but ok, there's other considerations.

The best is really to remove the planks and go " ply though. I don't see why you think the age of the house makes a difference. You've got a subfloor under there, what could go wrong?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - MARMO.SICILIA@yahoo.com
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #11

Thanks for the ideas Jazz man. I did have to laugh when you said "what could go wrong" That has been my thought every time I start a project. Never seems to work in my favor though. I always find things that were done in a very unusual manner, like the fact that I have two subfloors.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #12

Another question. The 8mm flooring fit perfectly under my shower tiles, but adding the plywood is going to mess that up. Do I just run the floor up to the tiles and caulk?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

For the door jambs do I cut out the bottom through this middle section that my finger is on? And that is where the transition piece goes (as it was done before or was that done incorrectly previously? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting over old tar paper residue-1476293638070.jpg  
Old 10-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #14

I'm not really familiar with tar paper. What purpose does it have under the plywood joecaption? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #15

Another issue. If i add anything under the 8mm floor my cast iron flange will be lower than the floor. What are my options to fix that?

Advertisement