Painting Grout - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting grout

I hate my kitchen tile and grout. I'm not able to replace the tile at this time but am considering either painting the grout or removing it and regrouting it with a more desirable color. Has anyone ever painted their grout? How hard is it to remove grout from a large area? Thanks!

Advertisement

Dotsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

Painting grout

Do not paint. Use grout stain, it's made just for your problem.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Painting grout

You don't want to paint it, but try googling "grout stain".

As far as removing and replacing the grout, it's not difficult, just time consuming detail work. There are several tools available. You can dig it out manually with tile saw (available at the big box stores). Dremel also makes an attachment for their tools that will speed up the process, but if you use any power tools extra care must be taken not to scratch or damage the tile.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Tileguy

Painting grout

Talking about brilliant minds. I beat you by a few seconds.

I don't agree about removing the grout though. It's not an easy job as you say. A grout saw will kill your hands. There is absolutely NO reason to remove the grout if it's just the wrong color or dirty.

The best tool to remove grout however is an oscillating type tool such as Fein, Dremel or Craftsman. These cost from $80-500 and come with various attachments.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Painting grout

Yep I find the easiest tool to use for grout removal is a Dremel with the angle head guide on it just for this purpose. The bits eat the grout up in no time and it's easier to use than other option. You will go through bits very quickly though. I agree that staining would be better. Aquamix is probably the most widely available grout dye.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #6

Painting grout

I've actually done this project.
Laundry room grout was gross. Leave the old grout alone.
Grout stain works great. Just like painting it on..but it is made for grout and it stains it the new, cleaner, better color. Box Stores have it!! Not cheap, but a cheap way to freshen your area. Good luck.
mrs. c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #7

Painting grout

Thanks everyone for your help. I have about 250 sq ft of tile and most likely won't remove the grout. I have the standard builders tile with a very light gray grout. It needs to be darker so it won't show dirt so easily (I have 7 labs).

I'll probably go the stain route.
Thanks again
Dotsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Tileguy

Painting grout

7 labs.......oh boy.

You will need to super-clean the grout using a tile & grout cleaner. It'll contain acid, read carefully, not hard to use but it'll take you several hours to do.

You'll love the grout stain for ease of maintenance. It contains an epoxy base so it'll be permanently sealed and easier to clean.

Wonder what type of flooring is in the rest of the house?

Jaz

Advertisement