Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

Share |

Painting a 1950's Theatre Stage Floor

We have a stage floor that was stained and varnished in the 1950's. It is brown and has numerous scratches and dents in it due to the heavy " set pieces " and concert risers being dragged over it through the years. The varnish is also peeling up. Our problem: We want to paint the floor black. It is in a school. We have been told that it cannot be sanded, because it has " lead " in it. Now, we are being told that we can't paint over it either, as nothing will stick to it the way it is. Any ideas that are safe, that will fill in the scratches / dents / divots, and that paint will adhere to afterwards and resist peeling and scratching? Thanks for any input!

cparrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #2

Who told you it has lead in it? Have you had it tested?
I've never heard of a sealer having lead in it before.

You do know that if you paint it the paints not going to last for long and every single foot print will show up on black, right.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

The School supposedly had it tested. We'd prefer to stain it, but the school won't let us sand the floor to prepare it properly. Most all Theatre stage floors are black.
cparrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Doing some research I find that lead was used as a dryer in the poly many years ago.
I'm surprized that school was not forced to have all that old floor stipped years ago by a lead abatement company.
I know they have came up with all kinds of new laws for public building, apartment buildings, rentals, all about getting rid of lead based products.
A contractor is not even allowed to do any sanding in older homes unless they have a special licence.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #5

You could have the floor refinished by a company with proper lead abatement certification. However , if that is not possible I would think a couple coats of primer prior to the paint would get it to stick.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #6

Lead test kits are pretty cheap. As someone who's wife works in public schools and being a bit of a cynic, I'd test it myself to find out if it's the lead that is your principals issue or that the soccer team needs new balls...

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote