Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Share |

Paint after floors

Getting my wood flors sanded and then restained a darker color. Should the painting happen after the floors are done or before? THanks

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

Paint after floors

If you paint before, would not need to bother to clean up any spills or drips.

joecaption (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Paint after floors

I know some of the "painters" are going to chime in later saying all you have to do is lay down some tarps but some how the paint always ends up on the floor.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Paint after floors

If we get the painting done prior to the floors being sanded/stained will the floor job affect the new paint job? I mean people get there floors done and have walls untouched.....it would be the same thing.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

Paint after floors

If anything, the sanders are also a heavy duty vacuum, it sucks the dust right up and keeps it from getting all over the house or walls.
At same time is a lot of work going on with big and heavy tools, could be a sander operator will be turning a machine around for next pass and bump the handle into the wall.
If fresh and soft paint, may need to use a brush and touch up the spot.
But should be very minimal if any touch up to do when done.

This is why I want to know about your other post about the trim. I would want to remove the shoe molding for refinishing the floors. Then put them back up after the floors were done.
So my answer in your other post does not apply if you are getting floors done at same time, would have been better to ask both questions in one post to keep answers together and not bouncing back and forth.
But is fine, people here can figure out these little quirks. we do it everyday on the jobsite
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Paint after floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
If anything, the sanders are also a heavy duty vacuum, it sucks the dust right up and keeps it from getting all over the house or walls.
At same time is a lot of work going on with big and heavy tools, could be a sander operator will be turning a machine around for next pass and bump the handle into the wall.
If fresh and soft paint, may need to use a brush and touch up the spot.
But should be very minimal if any touch up to do when done.

This is why I want to know about your other post about the trim. I would want to remove the shoe molding for refinishing the floors. Then put them back up after the floors were done.
So my answer in your other post does not apply if you are getting floors done at same time, would have been better to ask both questions in one post to keep answers together and not bouncing back and forth.
But is fine, people here can figure out these little quirks. we do it everyday on the jobsite
Lol...thanks. What exactly did you want to know about the mouldings? Sorry

Th mouldings will be semi-gloss white. Walls will be a different color

Last edited by Mstrlucky74; 04-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

Paint after floors

It would be correct to remove the shoe base that you typically find on hardwood floors for sanding. They want get right up to the walls and would just mess up the paint on the floor trim.
Just saying the 1/4 round on the floor is a must to be removed, and would be silly to put it back up before the floors are done.
When you say trim installed before paint, is it just the 1/4 round on the floor or are you pulling and replacing all the door and window trim also?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #8

Paint after floors

Quote:
It would be correct to remove the shoe base that you typically find on hardwood floors for sanding. They want get right up to the walls and would just mess up the paint on the floor trim.
Just saying the 1/4 round on the floor is a must to be removed, and would be silly to put it back up before the floors are done.
When you say trim installed before paint, is it just the 1/4 round on the floor or are you pulling and replacing all the door and window trim also?
All moulding are removed. We are installing all new mouldings. We have all new sheetrock up and it is taped and compounded ready for prime/paint now.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #9

Paint after floors

Whole new ball game then. I would follow Joes advice, maybe he saw through this and suspected what was going on?

In this case for sure, roll out the walls, then when the are floors done. I would paint the trim out on saw horses before cutting and installing.
Would be simple to caulk and touch up the trim and cut in the walls to the new caulk.
This will give you the best quality look and is worth it.

I originally read it as a person that wants to have a old room repainted, This is a total face lift and certain things need to be done in order.
Paint the walls, finish the floors, come back and trim it out and then caulk and touch up.
I would prime and one coat of paint on the trim, after installed and caulked and putty, will get second coat in place.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Paint after floors

Quote:
Whole new ball game then. I would follow Joes advice, maybe he saw through this and suspected what was going on?

In this case for sure, roll out the walls, then when the are floors done. I would paint the trim out on saw horses before cutting and installing.
Would be simple to caulk and touch up the trim and cut in the walls to the new caulk.
This will give you the best quality look and is worth it.

I originally read it as a person that wants to have a old room repainted, This is a total face lift and certain things need to be done in order.
Paint the walls, finish the floors, come back and trim it out and then caulk and touch up.
I would prime and one coat of paint on the trim, after installed and caulked and putty, will get second coat in place.
Yes but isnt that a PIA to just pint the caulking if the walls are already done? Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #11

Paint after floors

Not really, consider the trim already has a good coat of paint before cut and installed.
Now when trim is installed it will have the new nail holes that need Spackle, corners and joints will need to be caulked and putty. You will caulk the trim to the walls.

I would use Alex latex clear painters caulk.
It will dry clear and hide many things. Then when you go back and apply the second coat to the trim, you paint the trim to the wall which includes the caulking. And you may need to let it dry and come back with the wall color and touch up the walls to the caulking.

But this is one of those details that makes new drywall and trim really pay off.
It is a extra step, but well worth it.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #12

Paint after floors

Quote:
Not really, consider the trim already has a good coat of paint before cut and installed.
Now when trim is installed it will have the new nail holes that need Spackle, corners and joints will need to be caulked and putty. You will caulk the trim to the walls.

I would use Alex latex clear painters caulk.
It will dry clear and hide many things. Then when you go back and apply the second coat to the trim, you paint the trim to the wall which includes the caulking. And you may need to let it dry and come back with the wall color and touch up the walls to the caulking.

But this is one of those details that makes new drywall and trim really pay off.
It is a extra step, but well worth it.

Ahhhhh so the caulking gets painted the same color as the trim...not the wall?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #13

Paint after floors

Assuming you have painted (not stained) trim, then yes, the caulk is painted over when the trim is painted. If the trim is white (pretty standard), then the caulking doesn't always need to be painted where the trim meets the wall, if they do a good job rolling out the caulk. If they do a bad job, then you'll need to touch up the walls anyway. I would use a white caulk, not clear. Clear caulk needs to be painted over completely, everywhere. White caulk on white trim won't be noticed and is opaque, so it covers all dark lines where there are gaps.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #14

Paint after floors

I am no expert, but I did quarter round throughout my house, and I bought painted (not just primed) quarter round and matching (brilliant white) caulk and it made things very easy, no paint needed.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #15

Paint after floors

Where did you get the painted trim? Or was it the vinyl trim?

That sounds pretty nice, assuming it's a close match with the white color of the rest of your trim.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote