Outside Tile Floor Is Leaking Onto Ceiling Below - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outside tile Floor is leaking onto ceiling below

I have a serious problem with a flat roof that has been tiled with slate tiles and is located on a 2nd story patio positioned directly above a living area. It has started leaking water through the ceiling below.

The leaks started this past winter when snow accumulation melted. I initially thought it might have been caused by a lack adequate flashing but recently we've had some heavy rains and that caused additional leaks. These leaks may have entered through the grout around the slate tile.

What is the best way to solve this problem and affect a proper repair? Can I put tile down again? The house is stucco or EFAS. The size of this roof patio is about 6' x 9'. There are two sidewalls and a solid front wall about 30'' tall which acts as a railing made out of stucco or EFAS with a 2" slit at the bottom to handle rain water and debri. Unfortunately, the floor is almost completely flat with only the slighest runoff towards these slits.

How do you propose I solve this problem? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Advertisement

brutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

wwwwwwwww

Advertisement

Last edited by tinner666; 04-13-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: typo
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

Your problem isn't the slate or cracked or missing grout, it's the lack of or damaged waterproofing under the installation. Neither slate or grout are waterproof, neither is any other type of tile.

Sounds like you are looking at a complete and proper redo in the future.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Your problem isn't the slate or cracked or missing grout, it's the lack of or damaged waterproofing under the installation. Neither slate or grout are waterproof, neither is any other type of tile.

Sounds like you are looking at a complete and proper redo in the future.

Jaz
How do you suggest I complete this redo properly? Should I use something like Schulter-Ditra or an EDPM liner to route mositure?

Bob
Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #5

How should I proceed with a proper redo to fix my problem. Should i use something like Schluter Ditra or an EPDM liner to catch moisture? What do you suggest? What about side-wall sheathing and getting it to stick to EFAS.

Bob
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

If it's been there many years and just recently started to leak, I would say you probably have a great deal of hidden damage? I think you have to rip it out and start from scratch. Once you see what you've got you'll know better what to do. There are many methods including does you'll find at Schluter's site.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote