Outside Kitchen Floor - Advice Sort - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outside kitchen floor - advice sort

I'm going to build an outside kitchen and need help with the floor construction.

It needs to be 2 feet off the ground to meet the deck edge - my wife is in a wheelchair so steps are no good.

I am in VA - so I am thinking of a normal pressurized wood deck structure - posts set in concrete with beams hung between -

but with the floor being 5/8 pressure treated ply-wood with cement board screwed down over the top.

I would then lay porcelain tile over this ? - will this stand up - to traffic and freezes ?

thanks- Stephen

Advertisement

stephen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Try looking at 'www.tiproboard.com for ideas on this project...but as is I'd say too many potential problems with that construction.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Try looking at 'www.tiproboard.com for ideas on this project...but as is I'd say too many potential problems with that construction.
like what - you can't just say lots and leave it like that .....give us a clue

i am reading your link though
Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

This will not work. Pressure treated decking has too much movement. The CBU is only providing a flat plain to lay the tile. No structural strength. The plywood under tile needs to be 1 1/8" so 5/8" will still allow too much deflection between the joists. Setting the deck on posts will also move too much unless these are set over foundation pillars of concrete to a depth to frost level in your area. I would build a stone wall to height, fill with clean fill, add gravel and drainage, than poly, cement and flagstone. Use tempered to keep the edges even for easier rolling.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #5

so my frost level is 18" - i was going to put the posts 30 " down - this should stop the movement.

I can't build a wall and fill as i would need 30 cubic yards of fill ?.

- would a combination of walls and joists be better than posts and joists ?

- Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
This will not work. Pressure treated decking has too much movement. The CBU is only providing a flat plain to lay the tile. No structural strength. The plywood under tile needs to be 1 1/8" so 5/8" will still allow too much deflection between the joists. Setting the deck on posts will also move too much unless these are set over foundation pillars of concrete to a depth to frost level in your area. I would build a stone wall to height, fill with clean fill, add gravel and drainage, than poly, cement and flagstone. Use tempered to keep the edges even for easier rolling.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

What Bob says is that the wood you use to make the decking has too much twist (movement) to it to lay a flat surface on top of. But instead of that you could use a synthetic decking material like Ti-Proboard and according to them - because I have never touched the stuff - you can lay down these boards and tile on top of that. I'd sister my joists though.

Of course you'll have to drop your posts down below the frost line as already suggested, but you may just be able to get away with it. It's just that wood and tiles have a different rate of reacting to hot/cold weather extremes.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Still will not work. This product can be laid down on the ground as promoted, but it shrinks quite a bit. So again you have a surface that will have too much deflection for tile. Why can't you build a landing and then a ramp to the deck. Use T&G decking that has a flat interlock so you can roll on it. As long as you are not stuck to tile you have many good options.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #8

Are you really married to the idea of porcelin tile? Because as said before it's not going to work on PT. You can get alot of FREE Fill on Craig's list or something similar. Then just do it right with concrete and make it last....

Advertisement

OutToPasture is offline   Reply With Quote