Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
She'sapainter

Share |

Outdoors deck membrane failed

Hi all It's been a while...I am redoing my deck; I used Red Guard by Custom building supply. I fallow the specs to a T. laid my tile but didn't seal the mortar.

My tiles started moving I just laid them 8 months ago. Now that I am removing the tiles I see where the membrane has dissipated I assume that is due to the amount of time that is was exposed to the direct sun. Being that it is a waterproofing membrane.

I am scraping the red guard off and I think I am going to go ahead and just apply some last o merit beings it was originally a roofing compound my questing is will mortar adhere to it...

I am a commercial Painter of 25 years dealing in painting and special coating and waterproofing I just don’t know about tile over waterproofing
That is not my area of expertise

Old 02-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #2

WHAT are you doing, tiling a deck? Redgard is not a finished product, needs to covered with thinset and tile, works fine if used per instructuions.

NO, thinset and tile can not be applied over roofing compound.

Wait, you said the tile is moving, I doubt very much the Redgard is to blame, how exactly was the deck prepped for tile, how is it built?

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #3

Yup, we'll need answers to R&D's questions first...exactly what are you trying to waterproof anyway?

Did you speak with the RedGuard technical people about this? RedGuard is like a hi-fill alkyd paint with an elastomeric resin inside. It's bound to be "softer" than tile, wouldn't you say? What mortar did you use? modified? How do you think the modified mortar dried while sitting on the RG?

If it's a wooden structure, you will have to account for the difference in expansion coefficients of tiles+thinset compared to wood. Both these items react differently to rain and to sun so how did you think people take this into account? From what I know there are only one or two ways you can tile over a wooden deck to do that...

But if it's not a wooden structure, is it flat on the ground? Is it over a garage or a room?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #4

First of all, do not use a petroleum based prodoct on the subfloor. The red guard did not fail. You asked it to do something it can't. The wood subfllor is probably moving too much. You also need to use a tile that is made for outdoor use. Tile contracts and expands with an exessive amount of moisture, heat, or cold. You need to check the wood subfloor, then use a good concrete board, and get some Schluter Kerdi. This is the proper water proof membrane for exterior use. Please use the proper thin set mortar also.
sportsmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

The lack of detail in the post needs to be filled in. But the information supplied makes it evident that you did not do any research into the proper way of addressing the project. There's a good chance that what you're trying to do can't be done with the structure you have, but that can only be determinded with a more detailed description of the existing conditions.
Photos would help.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote