Outdoor Tile Project - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Outdoor Tile Project

I have successfully tiled bathrooms, kitchens, entry ways and a basement. I am considering tiling an outdoor cement slab (covered porch) and cement steps leading to the house. Both the steps and slab are more than 5 years old and have not cracks other than where the relief cuts are. This is located in S.W. PA where the winters can go well below 0 degrees and the summers occasionally get well above 90. It is covered but somewhat exposed to the elements so it will get rain and snow.

What are your suggestions for a successful install?

Rege

Advertisement

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

Outdoor Tile Project

For a continued healthy, loving marriage don't use any glazed tile unless your name is Drew Peterson.

Advertisement

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Outdoor Tile Project

I know what you mean, but there's nothing wrong with using glazed tiles outdoors. Just not smooth and glazed.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor Tile Project

I think the question you want to ask is porcelin tile or stone? Stone will handle 0deg weather better, but is more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegeSullivan View Post
I have successfully tiled bathrooms, kitchens, entry ways and a basement. I am considering tiling an outdoor cement slab (covered porch) and cement steps leading to the house. Both the steps and slab are more than 5 years old and have not cracks other than where the relief cuts are. This is located in S.W. PA where the winters can go well below 0 degrees and the summers occasionally get well above 90. It is covered but somewhat exposed to the elements so it will get rain and snow.

Rege
manjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor Tile Project

I think the question you want to ask is porcelain tile or stone? Stone will handle 0deg weather better, but is more expensive.

Quote:

Rege
manjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Outdoor Tile Project

Yes of course Manjo, he should use porcelain or a frost resistant ceramic of some type. We were not talking about that. We were talking about the finish and texture of the tiles. But your topic was going to be the next topic.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 264

Outdoor Tile Project

What type of thinset is best for outdoor use? Is there any benefit to buttering each tile or just us a notched trowel? Will water get trapped under the tile and cause it to crack and if so what can I do to minimize that problem. And, any other tips for this project would be helpful.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Outdoor Tile Project

Quote:
What type of thinset is best for outdoor use? Is there any benefit to buttering each tile or just us a notched trowel? Will water get trapped under the tile and cause it to crack and if so what can I do to minimize that problem. And, any other tips for this project would be helpful.

Rege
I've used 6x6 quarry tile on enclosed screen porches on LI,NY. I used a modified thinset with a notched trowel. Been there for 15+ years with no ill effects due to weather. They were placed on concrete, 18-24" off the ground in each case.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Outdoor Tile Project

This might look good. I did a section of porcelain on a small slab - southern exposure so very hot in the summer and heavy winter weathering. It's held up well - I used thinset for stone and large tile interior/exterior. Only error was in the color of the thinset - I used white and you could see it on the leading edge of the slab.

I'm planning to do the front walk and stoop this year. Went to a real tile store this time and they actually recommended Redgard on the concrete first to help prevent moisture from rising out of the slab behind the tile.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none

Advertisement

Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote