Outdoor Tile - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Outdoor tile

Hi all I am starting a new deck it wil be pressure treated decking. I want to place about a 10x10 section of tile so I can put a fire pit I keep hearing mixed reviews on outdoor tile my plan is to knotch the joist so the tile will end at the same height. I live in Virginia so temps will range from 20-100F also it will not have any type of coverage (fire pit) so it will get the rain and snow. So my question is if I use 3/4 pressure treated ply with backer board then tile or Schluter-DITRA
Thanks in advance

Advertisement

flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,494

Outdoor tile

I am not a tile pro but for me that is recipe for a mess. PT checks, cups and warps BADLY. Therefore, anything that is on it will reflect that whether it be cbu, ditra, etc. you need a better approach. Ron

Advertisement

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,240

Outdoor tile

Flynavy,

Let's start at the beginning with how the deck is built, be specific.

Tip; You will want, the right plywood, real concrete backer board AND Ditra. More later.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Outdoor tile

For the deck deck I am using 2x8 16 OC I will be putting girders every 6 feet with post going up to the girders every 7 ft so I shouldnt have much bounce I the deck if can drop to 1 foot OC where the tile will be if need be the decking will be 5/4 pressure treated
flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,240

Outdoor tile

If I'm understanding you right your framing is; 2x8 @ 16" oc, the girders (beams) are supported every 7' and the joists span less than 6'? Right? What are the beams made of? The plank areas will be 5/4 pressure treated and you want the finished height of the tiled area to be the same as the plank.

How high above the ground will this be? Will it have sun exposure much of the day?

1. The tiled area MUST be sloped at least " per 12", ⅜" would be better. The spec is 1.5 2% slope.
2. 12" oc would be a good plan.
3. Pressure treated ply is NOT recommended, but might work. You should use " ply subfloor grade which is rated exposure 1 or equal. That means it's made with waterproof glues.
4. You need ply + real concrete backer board rated for exterior and Ditra over all that. Then the frost proof porcelain tiles.
5. You'll need to install expansion joints as required depending of size and exposure.
6. In the framing side, you have to consider the snow load and also the wind load.
7. There's lots of other details, most of which I don't necessarily know cuz I'm not a deck guy. But I do know a little about the tile end of this.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
flynavy (03-22-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,870

Outdoor tile

Just a really bad idea.
Pressure treated plywood is soaking wet, full of voids.
I've yet to find anything it's good for.
2 X 8's are the minimum joist I'd be using for even a small deck.
Notch them and your not only making them weaker but exposing the untreated wood.

Advertisement