Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Share |

Outdoor Dance Floor

I’m looking for ideas for a material that I can use to create a permanent outdoor dance floor. I have an existing 16’x20’ concrete slab in my back yard in west central Florida, which I would like to turn into a professional party dance floor. I originally thought about installing a wood composite deck on top of the slab. However, because it requires gaps to allow for drainage and ventilation, I rejected the idea. It would not work, because high heel dance shoes would get caught in the gaps.

It would be ideal if there were some type of material that can be applied to the surface of the slab, whether in the form of a sheet good, like vinyl flooring or applied topping, like rolled-on paint. Wood floors are perfect for dancing on, because the material gives somewhat to the pressure of walking on it. Concrete, tile, and stone are exhausting and painful to dance on for any length of time. Therefore, I would like to find something that would resemble the softer properties of wood, but without the drawbacks of its vulnerability to weather, sun, and insects.

Some of the requirements are as follows:
1. Resistance to UV rays, insects, rot, and any other damage from Florida’s harsh weather elements.
2. Flat, smooth, level surface without cracks, gaps, or warping.
3. “Giving” density, so it will be easy on the feet and legs after hours of dancing.
4. Surface that will allow gliding, spinning, and turning (but not slipping) of suede-bottomed shoes.
5. Permanence and durability, to last several years of dancing and exposure to outdoor elements.
6. Wash ability with a garden hose and broom.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. David

DRIFT-O-MATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Outdoor Dance Floor

What makes a dance floor isn't the surface... it's the structure underneath.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=40557279801

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote