Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

outdoor brick work

Hi I live central Indiana and I plan on doing some outdoor projects this summer. I would like to put a brick patio down over an existing concrete slab. The space is only 8'x15' but I've never done brick work before and dont know what steps to take in regards to the concrete slab. Can the bricks go right over it? I'm a handyman and have been involved in construction for over 10 years. I've done some tile work before and dabbled in everything else that goes into building houses. I started remodeling homes in the summer when I was 13 for a buddies dad and haven't put a tool belt down since I currently install tele/communication cables. So I'm aware of construction methods but any advice with this issue would be grateful

EdgarF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

outdoor brick work

If you lay the brick over the concrete you will have problems. The first and major one would be that moisture will seep in between the mortar and brick. In the winter this will freeze and thaw causing the mortar to crack and break out of the joints. Brick on a house are layed vertical. These would be layed horizotal. Leaving alot of area for moisture to collect.
But, the proper way to lay a brick patio would be to take out the concrete, leave the rock bed that is under the slab, and pour a 4" sand bed to place the brick on. Rent a vibrating tamper to pack the sand. Then lay the brick keeping them flat and at a slope away form the house. After the brick are layed, fill the gaps with sand.
If you choose to do it your way, here is a link to the best sealer on the market. (IMO)

http://www.miraclesealants.com/s_seal_enhance.html

Last edited by woodman58; 03-15-2011 at 09:38 PM.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

outdoor brick work

Thanks for info. Moisture was my concern too.
EdgarF is offline   Reply With Quote