Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 540

Out with the wood/carpet and in with the tile

We have to replace all the flooring in the house and after dragging out wet stinky flooded carpet I will NEVER have it again. With that being said we want to put tile down.

In some areas of the house there was laminate flooring that had to be pulled as well and there is a glue residue left behind. my assumption is that this glue will need to be removed prior to installing tile and I was wondering if anyone has any tips as to getting it up. I have heard that using a grinder is a no go as it gets gummed up, are there any flooring glue strippers out there, I dont mind the work of scraping if necessary ( my labor is cheap ) but would rather something to help the process along. I have no idea what type of glue the prior owners used and it also looks as if there were two types used.

Thanks

Robyn

forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,318

I can understand the carpet.....

But wood? Even with tile, you have wood under the tile......all the tile does is hide the wood.....if there is a problem....the tile will only hide it....

So....don't make decisions based on if you have a flood...or huricane......

Make the decision based on 'typical' use.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht

Sorry DDawg I did not clarify, the laminate wood floor was on a slab floor and insta warped so it had to come up.

For all my griping I will probably end up with carpet in the main bedroom but for the main living areas we are looking at tile. In some areas it will be the tile that looks like wood and others regular tile.

There is no subfloor so from what I understand the glue has to come up before the tile goes down.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

If you are on a slab---do not use a solvent to remove the glue----the solvent will soak into the concrete--

creating a bond breaker---your thinset might not stick----

Best plan----scrape off what you can with a razor scraper----then---either encapsulate it under a coat of self leveling compound that is designed to stick to the adhesive---(Jifset mixed with Linewebers liquid latex_)

Or,if the floor is flat, simply use a thin set that is approved for use over the adhesive---
forcedreno2012 (11-11-2012), ToolSeeker (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Oh wow, thanks Mike never even entered My head about the integrity of the slab.

It is very level though so at least one positive. I will look into the thinset route.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #6
Renovating My Land Yacht

Mike we are now at the point where I have to tackle the glue and get some flooring down where the wood used to be.

I did the boiling water trick to see if it was water based and it is definitely not. The only way this is going to come up is solvent or grind.

I know solvent is out if I am going to tile and I am not really wanting to grind it down so I wanted to ask you on what you posted on the below..

Or,if the floor is flat, simply use a thin set that is approved for use over the adhesive---

Would you mind helping out with a name or type so I can take a look at it?
The floor is very flat and none of the glue is very thick. I wanted to check this out before I drywall in the areas in case I need to make a mess.

Thanks

Robyn
Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Robyn,

The first thing you have to do is determine the general type of adhesive residue you have. It would have helped is you knew the specific type of flooring that was stuck to it. Sounds like whatever it was has long been removed. Your laminate was just laid loose right? Got pics of the adhesive & floor? Can you give a good description? Even the color might help.

So, depending on your answer we can get a little more specific. Chances are you'll need to remove it by using the razor scraper Mike mentioned earlier. The Self Leveling may be an answer too. You just have to read all the directions, but first you gotta know what that glue is, or start scraping.

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Out with the wood/carpet and in with the tile-scraper-.jpg  

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
Renovating My Land Yacht

Jaz,

Thanks for the reply.

I am pretty sure its not water based because it soaked in the flood for 3 days and didn't come up. I also tried the hot water trick. Its a beige brown color. It almost looks like dried up liquid nails.

The flooring was wood laminate, After everything dried up the laminate had popped off the glue and basically we were able to rake it up (If that makes sense). When I came back to check on the level of water there were even pieces of this stuff floating about. I know this was used to glue down the wood initially or in the past because there are perfect wood shaped imprints in the glue. I have not tried the scraper pictured but I have tried with various blades and nada

I will grab a picture tomorrow and post it. I really want to put down tile because of durability. The wood was in the main living areas kitchen dining etc and not the bedrooms so I have about 1000 square feet of this stuff to deal with.

One other question if I may.....will using a degreaser cause issues down the road laying down tile? There is a spot near the kitchen door where a half filled floating gas can landed wonky and leaked some gas on the floor. There is also a spot in the bathroom that I have no idea what it was but it left a greasy spot.

Thanks

Robyn.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
Renovating My Land Yacht

Jaz,

Okay woke the kid up and was able to snag some pics . P
ic 1 is pretty much what the whole area looks like except where cabinets etc were and pic 2 is a better representation of the color.

Hope this helps.....PS props to you sir I have seen your work and advice over the years on JB very nice.

Thanks

Robyn
Attached Thumbnails
Out with the wood/carpet and in with the tile-glue-1.jpg   Out with the wood/carpet and in with the tile-glue-2.jpeg  
Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
Tileguy

Robyn,

Your old wood floor was probably not laminate but was engineered hardwood, (maybe). Laminates are not glued.

So I think the old glue is probably hard by now. So, is it hard and brittle or is it kinda soft if you poke it with a tool? Try a torch to see if it softens or? How old is it? You might wanna send a few chunks to a lab to test for asbestos.

If the results come back negatory, and the adhesive is not the type that gets soft when heated, sanding may be a choice but it can get messy. Scrapping with the pictured tool is no fun but..... Otherwise check what self leveling cements are available to you and read or call to get their blessing to continue. In all cases SLC require a primer, so don't skid that.

SLC's can save your job but sometimes it's a lot of work and planning is critical. You're liable to use more than you first think and since it kinda levels its self, you might raise the floor level more than anticipated. Oh, it's not cheap either.

I might scrub those spots with a strong detergent and rinse well. I mean really well. I would then skim coat those areas with a modified thinset mortar to test. All depends on how much time you have.

Jaz

I see you posted pics 2 sec. before I posted.

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #11
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn
PS props to you sir I have seen your work and advice over the years on JB very nice.
Thank you. I like JB's place ( and JB too), cuz there's so many people with good advice. I haven't contributed in probably over a year or longer though. By the time I get there, 6 others have already given near perfect advice.

Jaz

Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Jaz,

Okay woke the kid up and was able to snag some pics . P
ic 1 is pretty much what the whole area looks like except where cabinets etc were and pic 2 is a better representation of the color.

Hope this helps.....PS props to you sir I have seen your work and advice over the years on JB very nice.
Thanks
Robyn
I've seen a lot of old adhesive over the years that looked just like what you have there. I'm betting it will scrape up easily using the scraper Jaz has suggested. Those scrapers work wonders if you get in the right position. You can get two hands on them and swing your upper body and scrape away. It usually goes fairly quick if the adhesive is hard and brittle.

As far as the oily stains. You are aware that using chemicals is a no-no if you intend to use thinset later. But, in this case I would make a poultice using kitty litter and mineral spirits and spread it over the stain. Let it sit until it dries, then sweep it up. I think you will be surprised at the results.
forcedreno2012 (08-06-2014), JazMan (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #13
Renovating My Land Yacht

Thanks Guys.

Well scratch one steak knife....but it worked

Went and tried to scrape the floor with a sharp knife along an "edge" and managed to get some up. I guess sharp is the way to go because all the others I tried didn't do anything. Its definitely not soft in any way shape or form. Looks like its elbow grease time. Will look for one of those scrapers tomorrow. The concrete underneath is ultra smooth.(don't know who they were but they are masters....no rough spots and almost perfectly level) So hopefully this wont take forever.

Jaz I Have no idea on the type of flooring. Lets just say prior owners did some not so normal things so it could have been anything. I know it was really easy to get up after the water though so thankful for that at least.
I am also a big fan of JB some of the stuff on there is just stunning.

Bud, on the chemical thing, I know that generally nothing is supposed to be used but one of the things that we had to do after the flood was sanitize. The water was fresh not salt but definitely had cooties and the aforementioned gas can episode. Would the fact that we washed the concrete glue mess with a bleach solution and then a sanitizing (non abraiseve) cleaner mean that I have hosed it up? It has been over a year since that was done though.

Robyn.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #14
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Thanks Guys.

Well scratch one steak knife....but it worked

Went and tried to scrape the floor with a sharp knife along an "edge" and managed to get some up. I guess sharp is the way to go because all the others I tried didn't do anything. Its definitely not soft in any way shape or form. Looks like its elbow grease time. Will look for one of those scrapers tomorrow. The concrete underneath is ultra smooth.(don't know who they were but they are masters....no rough spots and almost perfectly level) So hopefully this wont take forever.

Jaz I Have no idea on the type of flooring. Lets just say prior owners did some not so normal things so it could have been anything. I know it was really easy to get up after the water though so thankful for that at least.
I am also a big fan of JB some of the stuff on there is just stunning.

Bud, on the chemical thing, I know that generally nothing is supposed to be used but one of the things that we had to do after the flood was sanitize. The water was fresh not salt but definitely had cooties and the aforementioned gas can episode. Would the fact that we washed the concrete glue mess with a bleach solution and then a sanitizing (non abraiseve) cleaner mean that I have hosed it up? It has been over a year since that was done though.

Robyn.
I doubt anything you have done so far would jeopardize any future flooring applications.

As far as the scraping...if the adhesive is hard that is actually in your favor. Be sure to buy some extra blades. If while scraping you will remember to keep turning your scraper over after a few swipes this will help to keep the blade in sharp working order. Get some safety glasses because I think the adhesive is going to fly off that floor.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Renovating My Land Yacht

Okay got the scraper and started. There are 3 different types of glue. Found some behind some furniture and that came up okay although sticky.

The beige one is kicking my a$$. In some areas the idjits just put new glue over old glue I am averaging about 2 square foot an hour and I am not joking. Not a slow worker and busted my ass just to get this done. I even tried to heat it up with a torch for a bit and that didn't do anything either. This stuff does just not want to come up. Is this about right?

Robyn